Resistance of capacitor

Primarygun

Love the drawings. My friend in High School installed a 1 Farad capacitor in his car. Took up all his trunk, and really amplified his base. Not only was it a extreme base, but also when he did connect the capacitor his car would shake violently, and his headlights would go dim.

1 Farad that is a mean capacitor.

I used to work with a company that built magnetisers , using Large capacitors in their equipment to manufacture Magnets. Someone I noticed had left a magnet on the magnetising Coil . I shouted out " Don't anyboby press the Big Red Magnetising Button. "Alas my words were too late , somebody pressed the Magnetising button ...before my words were out. The Large Farad Paper capacitor , discharged through the Magnetising Coil. The Magnet that had been left on the Head shot across the Factory like a '303 bullet .. Your eyes could not follow it. It was too fast.

They used to keep the terminals of these capacitors shorted out when storing them , otherwise somehow they would self charge from stray static electricity. They could be quite dangerous if someone accidentally touched the terminals. It would be like being struck by lightning.

Mind you I met someone , who had been struck by an electric cable on an electric pylon , that killed him . He Died. But fell out of the tree. When he hit the ground , the impact resuscitated him. He said for two years he lived with permanent ( De Ja Vue )

mike

Edited by Mike Smith Cosmos

1 Farad that is a mean capacitor.

I used to work with a company that built magnetisers , using Large capacitors in their equipment to manufacture Magnets. Someone I noticed had left a magnet on the magnetising Coil . I shouted out " Don't anyboby press the Big Red Magnetising Button. "Alas my words were too late , somebody pressed the Magnetising button ...before my words were out. The Large Farad Paper capacitor , discharged through the Magnetising Coil. The Magnet that had been left on the Head shot across the Factory like a '303 bullet .. Your eyes could not follow it. It was too fast.

They used to keep the terminals of these capacitors shorted out when storing them , otherwise somehow they would self charge from stray static electricity. They could be quite dangerous if someone accidentally touched the terminals. It would be like being struck by lightning.

Mind you I met someone , who had been struck by an electric cable on an electric pylon , that killed him . He Died. But fell out of the tree. When he hit the ground , the impact resuscitated him. He said for two years he lived with permanent ( De Ja Vue )

mike

Is that story of the flying capacitor that's caused by a large magnetic field similar to how a rail gun works? Does anyone have insight on how exactly it accelerates the "bullets", and/or if you can effectively treat it as a capacitor?

Maybe it's just me, but this video made me hungry :)

I am not sure what you are hungry for?

If you are hungry for a lot of resistance Meg Ohms then you will be safe with high voltage as it will limit the current to a safe level.

If you are hungry for very low resistance then Oscillation and resonance can be achieved with the coil - capacitor tuned combination.

If you are hungry for time control, or just control, then a chosen resistance and/or capacitance, can give a precise - Time from Nano seconds to hours.., or precise values of a variable.

Mike

I am not sure what you are hungry for?

If you are hungry for a lot of resistance Meg Ohms then you will be safe with high voltage as it will limit the current to a safe level.

If you are hungry for very low resistance then Oscillation and resonance can be achieved with the coil - capacitor tuned combination.

If you are hungry for time control, or just control, then a chosen resistance and/or capacitance, can give a precise - Time from Nano seconds to hours.., or precise values of a variable.

Mike

Actually I was just hungry for the sausage that got electrecuted multiple times. I wonder how it tastes, and if you can actually tell that it was prepared by very unorthodox method ^_^

Fundamentally, asking "what is the resistance of a capacitor?" is like asking "what is the flavour of a table?".

It's a category error.

You can measure the ratio of a voltage to a current, you can call it an impedance or a reactance if you like, but it's still not a resistance.

An ideal capacitor does not have a defined resistance.

What is the resistance of a capacitor? From the data of experiement, I was convinced that the resistance tends to zero. Is this the truth?

There's a part of empty space between two parallel plates. Isn't the resistance very large as it seems it's hard for electrons to pass through these spaces. How do you reconcile the two facts?

There are two different resistances here with also two different conditions of operation.

This is a beautiful component - The Capacitor

Modes of operation.

1 . A changing voltage ( say changing from 2 volts to 4 volts in a certain time, say a few microseconds. One special version of this is an alternating change in voltage and polarity ( + to - and - to + ) thus an alternating change in current AC.

2 . A fixed level of voltage say 5 volts . Or slowly changing . Direct current DC.

There are all sorts of resistance and impedance at work here.

Resistance has connotations more around DC . Whereas impedance , more around AC. Although conceptually they have a similar feel about them . Namely how far is the device going to ' resist ' . Impedance however brings in a whole other area of science (phase and imaginary numbers i or j ) Try not to run away screaming as this is possibly where the beauty lurks.

Under DC operation, any resistance present in the capacitor will resist more like a conventional Resistance. Along its plates it will have LOW DC resistance. Between its plates it will have very high DC resistance . Under AC it will resist and react in a more complicated way, and bring in other factors , like ' how fast does the voltage change' and ' with what frequency does the voltage change from + to - . At AC . Between its plates it may offer a low impedance ( sort of equivalent to resistance ) , allowing an AC signal to pass easily , where it offers high resistance to DC. , thus keeping DC isolation.

These attributes are not to be minimised, as in fact they make up the beautiful characteristics of capacitors , which have put them in the one of three / four dominant components , in electronic circuits over the last 100 years.

Namely 1) capacitors, 2) resistors, 3) active devices ( transistors / valves ) and 4) coils or inductors.

{ Eek ! what are valves I hear the cry } .

The particular attribute of capacitors, It all rather depends on what are the requirements called upon by the capacitor as a specific component. To store, to stabilise, to oscillate, to isolate, to time, to change the phase ?

Mike

Ps as regards what is actually happening at an electron and charge level , is even more fascinating.!