to send something to space!

aviv8

What is your level of education? What are your current skills? What are your current resources? How long was the bus you rode to school? Have you ever done any model rocketry before? Where do you live? Would your government be willing to help with the diplomatic sanctions necessary for such a launch? Why is there a breast on the moon? Can you tell us what the "something" is you wish to send? Is it a red ball? Are there laws against this sort of thing in your country? If not, why not?

To emphasize which would probably be the first real hindrance:

Are there laws against this sort of thing in your country?

I think most giverments reserve the right to shoot down planes (which includes shooting things up to this height) exlusively to themselves and do not grant their citizens the right to do so, too. Sadly, these weapon restrictions exists regardless of the clear evidence that weirdos attacking you with a plane is a realistic threat to your personal safety.

you want to send something to the moon? well, thats a tad more complicated. how much orbital mechanics do you know?

and you do know that there hasn't even been an amateur rocket that made it into orbit don't you?

amateur being anyone not working for an organization with lots of dosh.

I like this "Aviv8", I'm a man after his heart, I too want to send something, at least out of our atmosphere, but I'm guessing it'll take me about a week worth of work, I have made some calculations and have found that with the combined financing power of Aviv8 and me (ruffly £10 and some Gum) we could buy a cardboard tube, a couple of heat resistant tiles (for re-entry), a bit of black powder and a few matches to light that all important black powder. Oh and I also like Cap'n Refsmmat's idea of a Saturn v design, i think ill try that. Now, where's my calculator...

do you know what Escape Velocity is?

and what it entails?

you may want to look into that first, and Then decide if it is within your means.

You don't need escape velocity to get to the moon.... not that it's any more achievable for an individual....

"Grifter" i'm like you, you can to help me?
When you request help you must cooperate to get it. You've been asked numerous questions, and you've only answered one, that you live in Israel. We are trying to be civil in order to find out more about you but you should have understood by now that what you're proposing to do has never been done by any small group. Furthermore, it's illegal in your country. Can you imagine the response of your neighboring countries if you were to shoot off a rocket that may violate their airspace?

One more post requesting unspecified help with no further information and this thread is closed. It was funny when we thought you were 8 years old but now it's clear you aren't listening and that's just tedious.

sorry about the double post but i got carried away and just had to see if i could find a "cheap" way of sending something at least close to "space" and I came up with this:

http://www.innovatia.com/tempest.htm

for the nominal price of only $45,000 US yes thats right only $45,000 US you too can be the proud owner of a Tempest Sounder, now comes with a free FAA launch license,

sales pitch over, but to be honest thats not too bad a price if someone was crazy enough to do it.

You don't need escape velocity to get to the moon.... not that it's any more achievable for an individual....

now I find that a wholly remarkable statement, not least of all because I contended that was the case some time ago only to be told it wasn`t possible Without achieving Escape velocity, so Some One is in error!?

Indeed, you don't need to reach escape velocity.

The escape velocity is the initial velocity, needed for a passive object without own driving force, to escape earth. E.g. if you shoot a bullet vertically, then you need escape velocity (somewhat more, due to atmospheric hindrance). If an object has its own driving force (e.g. a rocket with fuel), then a lower velocity can be used to escape earth. The driving force just needs to be larger than the graviational pull in the opposite direction.

Indeed, you don't need to reach escape velocity.

The escape velocity is the initial velocity, needed for a passive object without own driving force, to escape earth. E.g. if you shoot a bullet vertically, then you need escape velocity (somewhat more, due to atmospheric hindrance). If an object has its own driving force (e.g. a rocket with fuel), then a lower velocity can be used to escape earth. The driving force just needs to be larger than the graviational pull in the opposite direction.

If I remember my first year mechanics correction... Where the term "escape earth" means to travel to a point where there earths gravitational potential is 0, this is an infinite distance away.

but you can travel to a point where the earths gravitational potential will become small enough so that it can be "ignored" (this coupled with the gp of other bodies i.e. the sun...) for example (corrent me if my calculations are wrong)

the gravity @ a radius from the centre of the earth: 2.02x10^7

F= (G x M1 x M2)/r2

Rearrange to get:

g= (G Mearth)/r2

As gravity is the force acting on 1kg:

M2 = 1kg

Radius of orbit ® = 2.02x10^7

G = gravitational constant = 6.67300 × 10^-11 m3 kg-1 s-2

M1 = mass of earth ~ 5.97 x 10^24

g= ((6.67 x 10^-11) x (5.97 x 10^24))/2.02 x 10^7

g=0.975882266

as you can see, with larger values for radius this figure will become smaller and smaller untill it is ~0

but you can travel to a point where the earths gravitational potential will become small enough so that it can be "ignored" (this coupled with the gp of other bodies i.e. the sun...) for example (corrent me if my calculations are wrong)

the gravity @ a radius from the centre of the earth: 2.02x10^7

F= (G x M1 x M2)/r2

Rearrange to get:

g= (G Mearth)/r2

As gravity is the force acting on 1kg:

M2 = 1kg

Radius of orbit ® = 2.02x10^7

G = gravitational constant = 6.67300 × 10^-11 m3 kg-1 s-2

M1 = mass of earth ~ 5.97 x 10^24

g= ((6.67 x 10^-11) x (5.97 x 10^24))/2.02 x 10^7

g=0.975882266

as you can see, with larger values for radius this figure will become smaller and smaller untill it is ~0

Yep... :)

One tip though, the [sup ][/sup ] and [sub ][/sub ] tags without spaces are quite usefull ;)

nice post, integrate that to infinity and you get escape velocity. (pretty fast)

now for a little story (i don't know how true it is)...

there was once a nuke test underground with a bore hole which the nuke was delivered through. the hole was sealed with a steel lid which failed dramatically and supposedly reached escape velocity according to the math.

i'm a little sceptical as to whether the lid actually made it past orbit, it probably burned up as shrapnel but potentially an individual could possess enough raw materials to send something Arthur C Clarke style.