Can Religion and Science get on?

pharmacol

I think that pretty much settles it!

That's the most spectacularly naive thing I've read all week.

(In answer to the first question, almost any religious person will answer, "Every day, in every thing." Just so you know.)

I think that the Theology forum hasn't got so many hits is because it doen't seem very well advertised on SFN. I, for one, only stumbled accross it by chance. I would like to see the return of a religion-based sub-forum. I also hope i'll be allowed to join the sub-forum despite my relatively recent joining of SFN.

Who here has seen their god/gods at work?

Who here has seen science at work?

I think that pretty much settles it!

I would like to see the return of a religion-based sub-forum.

You want a religion-based forum? In order to do religion bashing over here? Your previous post does not indicate an openminded attitude towards religion and it gives me the impression that you just want to show how superior you (and science) are, relative to religious people (and religion).

I think that the Theology forum hasn't got so many hits is because it doen't seem very well advertised on SFN. I, for one, only stumbled accross it by chance. I would like to see the return of a religion-based sub-forum. I also hope i'll be allowed to join the sub-forum despite my relatively recent joining of SFN.

It hasn't got many hits because it is a lot of rubbish. It is full of trolls who just make outrageous comments to provoke religious people into an argument. It wouldn't be so bad if the trolls knew something about science, but they clearly don't, and there is no point in discussing with them since they have closed minds and are not interested in true debate.

They have even had mods leave, publicly declaring that they are leaving because of the amount of religion bashing going on (and that mod was an atheist!).

What are your views on this topic?

But does science and religion have to be at war?

There are large congregations in the world who want to go with the flow and fill in the unknowns with far-out rationalizations and table the motions indefinitely just so they don't have to fight about it, as long as they can get people in the doors. The one that I would call myself doesn't read prayers, don't read the Bible, and welcome anybody from Taoists to Wiccans to Orthodox Jews, as long as they follow the anti-bashing rules, plus, it is located in the most wealthy part of a big city. Of course, I really wouldn't know because I haven't taken the time to even go.

I don't see Science making a war out of it, except for a few individuals who have a problem with it or had a problem with it when they were young and trying to reconcile it. Most parents don't know much about or how to explain mythology.

It's those who intrepret mythology as the black and white letter of the law and who judge evolution as evil and antichrist who really have a problem, because information only grows. The main things that they don't like about evolution is that 1) Being related to the animals somehow justifies the sins of lust and so forth, even though there are many animals that mate for life, as well as some goldfish that screw any sex that it sees, and 2) Messing with the beginning messes up the whole, since it is all supposedly interconnected and a whole. But since their whole platform is bent on creationism, the fact that man is its own distinct species does not compute, the fact that man has the ability to think above mere lust does not compute.

Can the two live together? It happens all day, every day. As long as information continues to grow and the mainstream continues to accept that pseudo-history is not law, that the purpose of religion is to instill values not believe in tall tales, then people will continue to take the path of least resistance. Look at the bright side. We have less wars going on now than at any other time in history!

Daoism combines forms of transhumanism and philosophical thinking that Earth is heaven. In other words, they emphasize living in the now, understanding what we have, and adjusting your life in order to obtain happiness, good health, and universal awareness. These things are very much in tune with the idea of transhumanism, which emphasizes good health and heightened awareness.

More information.