Insect deterrent/repeller in household ?

Externet

What chemicals commonly found in households could be used to spray some lumber with, in order to ensure a nasty dinner to insects and protect the wood ?

Ammonia, vinegar, kerosene, shaving cream, motor oil, plumbing flushers, chlorine, salt, ..... which should work better and longer ¿?

Somehow I believe commercial insecticides work only for a short time, to keep the public buying again and again.

Seen a darker colored wood in older houses, that is never touched by termites. What was used to treat them over 60 years ago ?

Miguel

You can use Boric acid. Its available at grocery store. Mix it with water and put it in a spay bottle. I'm not sure what concentration you should use. May be can a glue or something to make it stick better and not come off when it rains.

Motor oil is a great choice esp if it`s Used!

Copper salts are great too, some finely powdered copper salt added and mixed will last for years.

in older houses Lindane (sp?) was used, it`s Very toxic and banned now though, tanalized wood is the modern equiv, although I`de still use Copper salts too, stops Fungus as well!