Identify this frog (photo)

the tree

There is a fairly impressive frog population in my pond this year (more than half a dozen, at least) and I was wondering if anyone here could tell me what type (species?) of frog it is from this photo? (click for a little bit bigger)

458711640_41f1db6971_m.jpg

I think Mokele is going to be your Main Man for answering that, it would be more helpful though if you told us Roughly Where you live, as I`m sure Area and thus Climate/Habitat data can be sought also.

I'm thinking it's the pool frog. Your picture fits the description of them for the most part. The only thing I can't find is the white stripe down its back. Do any of the other frogs in the pond have a white stripe?

The types of frogs in the England are common frogs, common toads, natterjack toads, and pool frogs.

The picture isn't of a toad, so it's either the common frog or the pool frog. And it doesn't look much like a common frog.

Here's a pic of the pool frog.

More info on the pool frog.

And here's where I got most of the information.

Edit: Nice pic, btw.

Wow, thanks. Yes some of the frogs do have white stripes down their backs.

On closer inspection though, there seems to be quite a variety of frogs, some that look a lot more like the common frog and one that (what I could see of it) was plain dark green without any pattern but it disappeared before I could find a camera again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm dropping in a touch late but i have an almost identical frog that lives around my lake, (SW.england).

Apparently; (according to my nature-loving friend), its a common frog, but this is in no way my area of expertise...

P.S. I think Julius is a good name...