Could Anyone Verify...

ender7x77

Well, I've been doing Gr.12 U Chemistry and have been finding it difficult most likely because I do not have any of the prerequistes for the class. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone could verify any of my anwsers as I have been struggling with it...Here it is if anyone is interested:

In cases of severe diabetes, a patient’s tissues cannot break down glucose, and, instead, the body breaks down fat for its energy. The fats are broken down in the liver and muscles, producing several compounds called “ketone bodies,” one of which is acetone.

a. The acetone produced in this process is carried in the blood and urine. Explain why acetone is soluble in these aqueous solutions.

Acetone is soluble in these aqueous solutions because they are polar molecules; thus, "like likes like" principle applies. It is an important solvent as a result of it having smaller chains making it have a higher solubility.

b. When fats are the main source of energy production, there is an overproduction of ketone bodies, leading to a condition called ketosis. A patient with untreated diabetes may have a blood concentration of acetone of 20 mg/ 100 mL. Convert this concentration to mol/L.

20mg x 1 g x 58.09 g/mol = 1.18 mol 100mL = 0.1L

-------1000 mg

Therefore a patient with untreated diabetes may have a blood concentration of acetone of 1.18mol/0.1L.

c. Acetone is volatile and is exhaled with the breath. Suggest a reason why, like untreated diabetic patients, people who are severely starved or dieting may have a smell of acetone on their breath – a diagnostic symptom of ketosis.

Those that are severely starved or dieting may have diagnostic symptoms of ketosis as they would virtually be undergoing similar process as those with diabetes. Ketone bodies are burnt in order to give us energy. If we are not eating properly a body will think that we have an insufficiency and overproduce ketone bodies in order to compensate; thus, with this overproduction comes excess ketones which contribute to the smelling of acetone on their breath.

d. Other ketone bodies lower blood pH, causing a condition called acidosis, which can lead to coma and death. Research the symptoms and effects of ketosis and acidosis and how these conditions may be avoided.

Acidosis: As stated it is a change in pH which is an increased acidity of blood plasma. Since changes in pH are felt very dramatically as 0.4 over could potentially kill someone, it is helpful to understand the ways to prevent its deadly dosage. Symptoms of Acidosis include drowsiness, nausea, vomiting, and obviously acetone smelling breath.

Ketosis: Symptoms - Nausea, vomiting, breath odor, sweet-smelling fruity acetone breath (since acetone is a small chain ketone), breathing difficulty, rapid pulse, rapid breathing, abdominal pain (usually in children), drowsiness, confusion coma.

ANY HELP at all would be very appreciated. thanks.

I'll take a stab at it after 24 hours have passed. I'm quite busy at the moment.

Tip: Work on strengthening the answer and reasons for the answer for each bullet-letter in the meantime. These things have to do with a chain of events.

Thanks for responding and sorry for taking so long to respond as I have been working on 3 other assignments due this week. Hopefully, you will get the chance to look over it sometime as I am quite dubious in my endeavours. I know that the math oriented question is wrong as it should be 0.00344 mol/L. Anyways, thanks again.

Acetone is soluble in these aqueous solutions because they are polar molecules; thus, "like likes like" principle applies.

Wha? What principle? I don't know that principle. Got a term for it? I bet it will be on an exam.

??? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solvation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketogenesis

I can't help too much, but I figure that search term might help you a little.

how these conditions may be avoided.

Don't forget to answer that part.