Use of Math

foodchain

calculus can be used if your interested in quantum chemistry (molecular orbitals and whatnot). When dealing with reaction rates, stoichiometry etc, algebra is important.

Either way, math skills are a must.

I've been studying matrices recently, surely they must have some good applications for chemistry ?

I have no idea what math is typically the norm in chemistry. In regards to matrices, I dont know really, possibly for a complex or something maybe.

Knowledge of algebra is helpful for finding variables. In other words, you know various and different ways to find X. You also need to know how to cancel out variables within equations. Sometimes you'll need to find a way to remove variables, thus leaving one variable. This is often done by doing (x/x=1). In other words, you get a basic, neutral 1. Anything times 1 is itself. You'll end up doing that kind of stuff when it comes to dimensional analysis, which is like taking a variable of Y and turning it into Z: Turn 12 feet into inches.

Most of it has to do with subtracting/adding powers of 10 within equations.

The terminology makes things seem complex, but a good, critical study of elementary algebra brings a person ahead in the game.

However, algebra is needed for the basics. Calculus is needed for the higher sections.

I'm a chemist for a living and I don't know what linear algebra is.

I haven't done any matrix arithmetic since I was a student.

Having said that you do need to know about matricies, calculus and eigenvalues if you want to do theoretical chemistry and quantum mechanics.

After reading some stuff from a moderator on a forum who said he didn't know linear algebra even though he said he is a "chemist," I've had a hard time believing he could do any chemistry at all. It seemed like a lot of speculation to me.