neutralising urine

biggs

i own a dog...

i would rather like to know how one could go about neutralising urine (and whatever else is in the urine) so that at least the resultant no longer looks or smells like it. by neutralise, i probably dont mean the typical chemistry terminology ... i really just want to get rid of the smell .. :embarass:

are there any house hold products that can achieve this task?

thanks a lot

just a thought, but i would think that urine would contain several different substances that each would somehow contribute to the overall smell. so to have household products to change the chemicals to nicer smelling ones may be unlikely or hard to find. that's just what i thought of off the top of my head, i could be wrong

The best way? Drink more water. Your urine should only be faintly yellow, not dark yellow.

This'll dilute the offending chemicals (urea, and others) and won't smell as much.

Try flushing the loo, too!

If its really pungent, I guess using a good scented bleach would work?

Matt

I understand that racing greyhounds are trained to urinate in bowls so the urine can be tested for performance enhancing drugs.

Perhaps training the dog would be easier than sorting out the chemistry.

BTW, urea is a white crystaline odourless solid. The smell comes from products of bacterial degradation of urea and other things that are present.

haha thanks guys

i guess if it's bacteria, i'll just nuke it with some bleach

yea my dog is trained now, but back from when he made a bunch of accidents on this little corner, whenever it rains and makes the patch moise, it starts fumigating smells again ... : /