The Power of YouTube

Haezed

It says he's fixing his hair. Is that all?

Someone decided to add a song from the West Side Story soundtrack as well. I believe the ostensible interpretation is an Ann Coulter-esque slight against his sexuality. But perhaps I'm just reading too much into it.

Slow connection. Summarize?

It says he's fixing his hair. Is that all?

Here's another link:

My point is not to agree with Coulter's joke but to say that this is a hit no candidate would have had to take ten years ago.

It strikes me as a "Dukakis driving a tank" moment.

Here's another link:

My point is not to agree with Coulter's joke but to say that this is a hit no candidate would have had to take ten years ago.

The point about youtube is well taken. It allows us all to endlessly replay whatever awkward moments anyone anywhere manages to catch on film. It will certainly have an effect, as does any instance of the public getting "closer" to candidates. Like the advent of the television, but not nearly that significant (yet).

However, I don't think this really qualifies as a "hit." Presidential candidates go on television. They try to look good. They have hair and makeup people. Everybody knows that. The only people who would have a problem with this clip would have to be already irrational with hate for Edwards, anyway. It's nothing like Dukakis in the tank.

Here's another link:

I'd say the Howard Dean HOOWAAH! moment was more of a dealbreaker, and was also circulated around the Internet

All that's changed is the viral spread of stupid clips has grown more idiot-friendly (not directed at this particular video, just viral video as a whole)

The point about youtube is well taken. It allows us all to endlessly replay whatever awkward moments anyone anywhere manages to catch on film. It will certainly have an effect, as does any instance of the public getting "closer" to candidates. Like the advent of the television, but not nearly that significant (yet).

This was my primary point..

However, I don't think this really qualifies as a "hit." Presidential candidates go on television. They try to look good. They have hair and makeup people. Everybody knows that. The only people who would have a problem with this clip would have to be already irrational with hate for Edwards, anyway. It's nothing like Dukakis in the tank.

I agree that nothing will surpass Dukakis in the tank. However, what bad timing for Edwards. Edwards problem, boiled down, is that he comes across as a light weight, a naif, a piece of fluff. This doesn't help.

I also admit, as no one else here will, that I thought it was kind of funny.

A question from downunder.

What did Dukakis do in the tank? Since he's a politician I can think of many possibilities, some of them involving White House orderlies.:D

It was a campaign commercial. He was riding around in it, wearing an army helmet, looking ridiculous. Think of Bush in the flight suit.

It was a campaign commercial. He was riding around in it, wearing an army helmet, looking ridiculous. Think of Bush in the flight suit.

For your viewing pleasure.

This one really made me laugh. Talk about a different era!

Here's another. What a warmonger. ;) The guy sounds just like GWB!

With the last two links, I'm referring to the first ads in the demo column.