Hawking's Theory of Everything.

I heard somewhere that Stephen Hawking had developed a theory of everything, and then wrote a book about it. The thing that seperated this theory from all the other "theories of everything" is that it is literally so simple that a high school student can memorize and compute it with a cheap, one dollar calculator in a matter of minutes.

Personally, I have to see this to believe it. Can anyone give me a link. Wikipedia was no luck to me.

I recall hearing about a nice simple equation as the theory of everything, but I don't know if it was Hawkings, or even if it was real. I think if this was a legit equation, we would hear about it for sure. There have been many claims of a "Theory of Everything," but they have all been disproved as far as I know.

Hawkings did however, make a big speech at Berkely recently about some of his new theories (like the beginning of the universe) and he promoted his new book "A Briefer History of Time"

But I dunno about this ToE.

I heard this on the science channel, on a documantary called the "Hawking Paradox." This was a side note from the main point of the documentary, and it stated that Hawking had developed a single, elegant theory that summed up everythin in our universe. To do this, he took bits and pieces of other famous equations, such as e=mc^2, and simplified where units cancled, and the equation that he developed when he finished was so simple that you could count the number of variables on one hand.

I heard this on the science channel, on a documantary called the "Hawking Paradox." This was a side note from the main point of the documentary, and it stated that Hawking had developed a single, elegant theory that summed up everythin in our universe. To do this, he took bits and pieces of other famous equations, such as e=mc^2, and simplified where units cancled, and the equation that he developed when he finished was so simple that you could count the number of variables on one hand.

I saw the same show, and I don't remember them talking about any such equation for theory of everything. What they did talk about was whether or not it was even possible, and the many issues regarding the Hawking Paradox, such as the destruction of information. I think the equation you saw was the equation for the Hawking radiation emitted from a black hole.

I think the equation you saw was the equation for the Hawking radiation emitted from a black hole.

Indeed.

If such an equation was proposed by Hawking, there would be much more attention drawn to it. There's no telling what people are developing now though. We could be in for some amazing breakthroughs at any moment. That is why the world of science is so exciting.

I heard somewhere that Stephen Hawking had developed a theory of everything, and then wrote a book about it.

In popular scientific physics, the term "theory of everything" often means a physical theory which, in principle, could describe all observed physical processes without inconsistencies. There is no such theory/model that is generally accepted, less one that would be easy to understand. Maybe Steven Hawking was the one who coined the term "theory of everything". Or maybe the statement you heard refers to some work of Hawking which was misinterpreted by the media as being a theory of everything.

Media news should generally taken with a bit of care since they need to make things sound more interesting to at least get a bit of attraction. For example, out local newspaper really loves to say that scientists at the GSI reproduced a mini big bang at their laboratory when indeed they are simply colliding heavy ions at very large energies.

I saw the same show, and I don't remember them talking about any such equation for theory of everything. What they did talk about was whether or not it was even possible, and the many issues regarding the Hawking Paradox, such as the destruction of information. I think the equation you saw was the equation for the Hawking radiation emitted from a black hole.

That wasn't the only place I heard it. I was also watching the Weakest Link on GSN and one of the questions was "What wheelchair-bound physicist wrote the London Times Best Selling book 'The Theory of Everything?'" The answer was, indeed Stephen Hawking.

• 1 month later...

Hello All,

Hawking's Theory of Everything, is only a frame work for the expected theories in thie field. For instance, he was confirming his ideas by the applying of units preservations ans same famous equations.

He didn't introduce any equation. But, he proposed an expected some-what reasonable answers to questions in the modern science. But, protesters are much more than acceptors for his theory.

LOL, and this simple expression of Einstein's Field equations may tell you everything about space curvature: (dont know how to use math notation here) [math] G_{\mu\nu} = 8 \pi \, T_{\mu\nu}.[/math]

simple though eh (if it shows)..anyway, I can promise you the day Hawkings has found GUT is the day I taught him it all :X ;)

(PS. that is meant as not plausible :))

Hawking's Theory of Everything is an unauthorized book. From Hawking's website:

http://www.hawking.org.uk/info/iindex.html

It has come to our attention that the book "The Theory of Everything: The Origin and Fate of the Universe" has been published. Professor Hawking would like to make it clear that he has not endorsed this book. The text was written by him many years ago, however the material has already been published in books such as 'A Brief History of Time'. A complaint was made to the Federal Trade Commission in the US in the hope that they would prevent the publication. We would urge you not to purchase this book in the belief that Professor Hawking was involved in its creation.

Nowhere does Hawking claim to have developed a theory of everything. His popular books describe what the ongoing search for a GUT is all about.

• 2 months later...

There have been lots of people working on a ``theory of everything''...in fact, sometimes it seems that the word has lost its meaning because people throw it around so freely.

Einstein tried to understand electromagnetism as an emergent phenomenon from gravity, in terms of geometry. This was a completely wrong approach---Einstein was brilliant for a few years, and then he kind of stopped doing physics.

;353498'']Did Hawking's theory of everything include the fact that I could kick his ass in fisticuffs...?
This is obscene. Evidently you have no wheel-chair users in your family - I do, so f.u.c.k your smart-aleck comments.

This is obscene. Evidently you have no wheel-chair users in your family - I do, so f.u.c.k your smart-aleck comments.

Did Hawking's theory of everything include the fact that I could kick Xerxes' ass in fisticuffs...? :cool:

Yes... perhaps it was not in good taste.

[Edit:]

I apologize. I didn't mean to be so insensitive.

;353508'']Did Hawking's theory of everything include the fact that I could kick Xerxes' ass in fisticuffs...?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I had sort of understood you to be a physicist? Is this the way physicists interact?

Yes... perhaps it was not in good taste.
Perhaps? It was in such bad taste that you are unlikely to be taken seriously (at least by me) on any forum of your choice. So f.u.c.k you, you are an ignorant and insensitive moron.

Besides you both being kidiots, I think Hawking's views may be a little off. I mean, I'm thinking about Transformers: Cybertron. In that cartoon, the Autobots thought a blackhole would consume and destroy the universe. But Hawking radiation says otherwise... So, I'm really unsure about both the cartoon and Hawking.

Other than that, I don't think a "Theory of Everything" can actually be created. Nah, if someone with a knowledge of physics can eventually bend astrophysics and rebuild the "machine" that processes and changes the universe, then I suppose that ToE would have to change, too. Unless the ToE can be completely independent of all dependent variables. I'd like to see that.

Several years ago Stephen Hawking said that there was a fifty-fifty chance that an actual unification of the four fundamental forces – a Theory of Everything – would be achieved. Recently, however, he has become more pessimistic on this score.

Wouldn't that be a type of logic?

Yes, no, and maybe?

* Sure, one can be created. I don't doubt that.

* Can one maintain it's position? No, if you can bend everything to your will, thus making the theory invalid: If you have a theory for everything, then you have a theory to make the the theory of everything invalid. It's a paradox.

* Maybe, well I'm guessing this is the exception idea to the two, previous presented propositions.

I try not to be a pessimist. I try to be a philosopher with views of functionalism and realism. ^_^

I think w=f[z]'s post was just supposed to be a joke at the theory of everything, physicists act like everyone else, we just have different hobbies.

also I don't think that transformers is avery good source for information on science, however even without hawking radiation a black hole would not expand to destroy the universe.

infact even with hawking radiation black holes easily have a lifespan of over 10^60th years depending on mass.

;353508']

[Edit:]

I apologize. I didn't mean to be so insensitive.

Yeah, OK, I apologize too for my foul-mouthed outburst. I guess I'm a bit touchy on the subject, that's all. Sorry all round for spoiling the atmosphere here.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hawkings did however, make a big speech at Berkely recently about some of his new theories (like the beginning of the universe) and he promoted his new book "A Briefer History of Time"

But I dunno about this ToE.[/quote

Speaking of that book, has anyone read it? I had a choice of buying it last weekend, but i elected to buy "Elegant Universe" instead purely because it was a little thicker, a couple bucks cheaper, and i was scared "The briefer history", is just a simpler version of his original book "A Brief History Of Time".