Science City

psynapse

Imagine what a community that was solely devoted to the progress of science, like the Vatican but for science. No laws other than the ones that people in Science City (vote?) on. What kind of laws should be implemented? A Spartan survival of the fittest, or should it be moral and take ethics into account. Would it turn into an evil sadistic world? Would Science City build an army, should they? How about people that would not join this city, are they a threat?

Comments?

I am all for a Science City that was harsh barren and cold, deviod of all human touch. As long as we had the arts I wouldn't mind, Enough human touch for me. Keep the soft sciences as well, they aren't too bad. I am unsure how the politics would go, probably try to go with what's best for the citizens. Unsure what that would actually entale. Mandatory Mating of course. How about the environment? I think we should be incredible conscientious about the environment, in Science city.

Unsure. Perhaps. It owuld have to be self sustaining though. So it would need more than campus security etc..

I was reading the animal rights and vivisection debates and realized that one of the punishments for breaking the law should be death after scientific experimentation has been carried out. That would certainly keep people form breaking the law or tighten the law up because you could always use more test subjects:-) .

I am all for a Science City that was harsh barren and cold, deviod of all human touch.

What the heck would that have to do with science? Moreover In case you didn't notice, scientists are all humans, too.

Ohter than that at least in Singapore and Japan science cities have been established. Although I am quite sure it was not what you had in mind...

This reminds me of that South Park episode where Richard Dawkins and "miss" Garrison eliminate religion; science controls the future, and everyone is killing each other over whose version of science is correct...

Anyhow, I love the idea, I just can't imagine how well it would work. I imagine nonstop arguments about what's the most logical way to do things (i.e. what's the most logical way to drink coffee). Everything would be set up for practical value, rather than aesthetic value, which could be quite boring.

It would be interesting though. The average IQ would probably be in the 120s, and over time due to select breeding of individuals with higher IQs, I can see the average peaking in the 140-160s.

OK, Ok not hash and barren, I am just trying to point out the extent to which I would be devoted, Of course we can always put nice things there too. I was thinking of a more Utilitarian approach where everything done should cause net benefit to the society.

Would we share with the rest of the world?

Oh, wow! That's such a great idea.

I know what we should do. We should create a system for these new boxes with wires and electronics in them. I think we'll have a way of transmitting messages to tons of them. We could set up signals and wires to allow people to communicate. Yeah, that would work.

• 3 weeks later...

I hate compound mentality. Without diversity there you get stagnation. A science-only city might be prolific for a while but after a few generations all those like-minded people would probably end up with zero creativity.

It seems intellectually incestuous somehow. :-(

i think the only difference between a "science city" and a normal city would be the mind set of the people and the availability of materials, tools and information. edit: and also the complete abscence of soap opera.

it would be a place for the insatiably curious and the obsessive tinkerers.

some how i don't think it would last long without fine arts.

I think such a city would be a disaster for science. Science should be open and available to everyone regardless of their understanding. Scientists, engineers, inventors, theoreticians, etc. should be close to every aspect of society. Closing a community off would remove a lot of potentially good input. The observations people make in their everyday life can lead to new ideas and solutions to problems. People outside of the scientific community would begin to distrust scientists. Science should really become more open to both the non-scientific community and perhaps even within the scientific community.

For all we know the answer to nuclear fusion could be held between a biochemist, a physicist and a bread maker; but they will never talk to each other.

Kind of sounds like the NIH in Bethesda, Maryland. Amazing place.

It's like a small city full of scientists (and administrators to keep them under control).

And none of them have to write grants :-O

Who would clean the toilets, wash the dishes everything to keep the

scientists clean and healthy?

Machines/robots, who would keep them in good repair, maybe AIs?

but maybe they would evolve and get rid of the humans :)

You are probably right Velo, but it would be fun while it lasted :) Animatrix style war between humans and machines in science city would be just what the doctor ordered. Humans united for one common goal; survival.

Toilets would just simply clean themselves. How you might ask? Answer: magic or some automated cleaning system.