chem questions

Ice_Phoenix87

hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with these questions. if you could give me an explanation as to why it would be great. Just some questions I have been having difficulty in solving.

How many lone pairs of electrons are on the sulfur atom in SO2?

What is the expected number of valence electrons for a group 3A element?

Use VSEPR theory to predict the molecular geometry HCN.

The molecular geometry of a molecule whose central atom has four single bonds and two lone pairs of electrons is ________.

In valence bond theory, a p bond is described as the sideways overlap of two unhybridised ________ orbitals.

How many sigma (s) bonds and pi (p) bonds are in acetone?

Give (a) the symbol and

(b) the name for the element corresponding with the following characteristics:

The element whose electron configuration is [Ne]3s23p2

Give (a) the symbol and

(b) the name for the element corresponding with the following characteristics:

The element with the highest first ionisation energy in Group 7A

Well i'll be a little helpful, since its my first post. These questions can be answered if you take a little time to study the periodic table, and consider some of the bonding going on. For instance, the first question you ask regarding the valency of bonding for SO2, how many bonds are there between a sulphur and one oxygen? That sort of thing.

Give it a little thought, go through your notes and look in some books, and get back with what you think the answers may be.

Good luck,

Matt

(p.s you seem new to chemistry if this stuff is a little difficult to you? Dont worry, I couldnt get anything at first!)