Astrology!!! 100% Foolproof science!!!!

MolotovCocktail

Thought that get your attention. Well anyway, on to the actual subject.

It seems to me that astrology can indeed predict the future. No really. It can. You see, there are many, many instances in which someone's fortune has been correct.

But then, as most of us know, astrology is total BS. It is so for the reason that every one of the predictions that is made is so vague they could be applied to any situation. Predictions such as "Looking for solutions with vigor and complexity will be present" or "There could be instigated actions and sabotage. This could result in political problems" aren't specific enough to really test them for legitimacy or to see if they really can predict the future, since it is only stating what could happen, rather than what will happen. Notice the difference between "could" and "will" and you'll see what I mean.

And take a look at this quote I saw from one astrology site: "Predictions can go wrong without a warning - so judicious use is recommended. These are based on horoscopes or birth charts cast for relevant times and periods."

(Source: http://www.geocities.com/akxyz/)

See that, even they know, so therefore these particular people who wrote this site are trying to disown responsibility for their wrong predictions in advance.

So yeah, its clear I don't believe in it, but I'm just trying to argue a point as to why.

And yes, I know the title is misleading. It is meant to be so.

So yeah, its clear I don't believe in it, but I'm just trying to argue a point as to why.
First things that come to mind...
  1. No falsifiability so it can't be regarded as a scientific theory.
  2. Not that I can find an explanation of why it should work, but I imagine that if one did come across, it'd be somewhat dodgy.

And take a look at this quote I saw from one astrology site: "Predictions can go wrong without a warning - so judicious use is recommended. These are based on horoscopes or birth charts cast for relevant times and periods."

I love that. "It's always right, except when it isn't."

• 3 weeks later...

I have absolute proof that astrology works.

Once, back in my school days, I slept in and missed the school bus, which meant I had to ride my new bicycle the 10 miles through Australian forest to get to school. Halfway there a tire was punctured, and my mean big brothers had already told me that any bike with a flat tyre had to be carried, not wheeled. So I hoisted my precious bike into the air and carried it the rest of the way to school. (Geeks with aspergers can be frightfully gullible.)

Being too late for class, I went to the library, and noticed my astrology prediction for that day in the paper. "You will be off to a late start this morning, but your cycle will pick up later in the day."

Anyone who is not convinced of the deep eternal truth of astrology just by looking at the description for their star sign needs to look up a "horrorscope" instead. I didn't think I was at all like an Aries until I read through the Ram's bad points. Though I can't see why they include on that list an incorrigible tendancy to pull the wool over people's eyes.

In the first few chapters of Mostly Harmless, there is the best possible justification for astrology and to be honest, it's pretty convincing. If you take it with a pinch of salt, and remember that it's not science, then there's no reason why you can't pull some useful ideas out of it.

I have absolute proof that astrology works.

Once, back in my school days, I slept in and missed the school bus, which meant I had to ride my new bicycle the 10 miles through Australian forest to get to school. Halfway there a tire was punctured, and my mean big brothers had already told me that any bike with a flat tyre had to be carried, not wheeled. So I hoisted my precious bike into the air and carried it the rest of the way to school. (Geeks with aspergers can be frightfully gullible.)

Being too late for class, I went to the library, and noticed my astrology prediction for that day in the paper. "You will be off to a late start this morning, but your cycle will pick up later in the day."

And surely 8.33% of the population had a similar experience that day.

And surely 8.33% of the population had a similar experience that day.

I'd seriously doubt that. Unless, of course, you can produce statistics to support a case that ~8% of the population are likely to carry flat-tyred bicycles over their heads through Australian forest on any particular day.

So have I succeeded in pulling the wool over your eyes yet, or do you persist in stubbornly clinging to the rational belief that the your health, love interests and shopping inclinations are not dictated by the apparent movement of distant constellations?

I bet you don't even believe that's God knocking on your door wanting to tell you about his 10 "amendments". :P

I'd seriously doubt that. Unless, of course, you can produce statistics to support a case that ~8% of the population are likely to carry flat-tyred bicycles over their heads through Australian forest on any particular day.
I think that was his point.

I think that was his point.

You can be sure that a large proportion of the population did have experiences that day which they could conceivably interpret as fulfilling that particular prediction, or any other prediction they read which they believed referred to them. ;)

Why not alchemy & creationsim too ?

"al·che·my ...

1. a form of chemistry and speculative philosophy practiced in the Middle Ages and the Renaissance and concerned principally with discovering methods for transmuting baser metals into gold and with finding a universal solvent and an elixir of life.

2. any magical power or process of transmuting a common substance, usually of little value, into a substance of great value." (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=alchemy)

I wouldn't link alchemy, which has evolved into chemistry, with astrology or (uggh) creationism. Every day now people are turning carbon into cubic zirconium, uranium into plutonium, and, most wonderful of all, potato peelings into vodka. :D

Creationism is actually a rather recent phenomenon, created sometime in the early 20th century in response to nihilism and criticism around interpretation of the bible. Believe me, these guys can get really crazy.

The craziest thing is how it spreads. It's like a virus, a brain-eating one.

Two of my formerly intelligent brothers caught it, and I tried explaining why the bible cannot be interpreted literally, pointing to one passage that indicates the earth is flat. Instead of waking up to the bull...., they not only decided the earth must be flat, but one, who is a teacher, now teaches his students the earth is flat.

One the other hand, they both say they pray for me, so I guess I should be grateful ... :eek:

I enjoy reading about how ancient cultures that used astrology in ways that science eventually found legitimate. Most of the legitimate application of astrology involved looking at the stars to determine the time of the year, which would be used to determine the best time to plant seeds or harvest. I suspect that these early successes of astrology encouraged the astronomers to make predictions that we now know has nothing to do with the positions of the stars.

I enjoy reading about how ancient cultures that used astrology in ways that science eventually found legitimate. Most of the legitimate application of astrology involved looking at the stars to determine the time of the year, which would be used to determine the best time to plant seeds or harvest. I suspect that these early successes of astrology encouraged the astronomers to make predictions that we now know has nothing to do with the positions of the stars.
Is someone mixing up astrology and astronomy perhaps?

Thought that get your attention. Well anyway, on to the actual subject.

It seems to me that astrology can indeed predict the future. No really. It can. You see, there are many, many instances in ( has been correct).

Yes, mostly in the conduct of electrical transmission here on Earth, based on a helio-centric astrology - predicting sunspots, as a function of planetary movement and the resulting interfernce, some time later.

See that, even they know, so therefore these particular people who wrote this site are trying to disown responsibility for their wrong predictions in advance.

And yes, I know the title is misleading. It is meant to be so.

Again, Astrology is rightly a Pre-Science (not psedo). One of the Arcane Arts. Brought to us by the Flat Earth Society at the Centre of the Universe. Everything measures by the distance of finger and thumb, the International Space Station is still ordered after the width of a Roman's Chariott!

.... Arcane, but not neccessarily untrue predicted effects.

Consider, for a moment, what thousands of years of such a shell game, would give for "predictability" among corealations? Even today, after only 100's of years, most Americans pride themselves in knowing where someone is from (on the face of the Earth) by how they sound. Any established civilization or culture, would do the same... evolving it's own truth.

And now, looking at the influences of the planets, as they rotate among the stars... We can place them on an overlay of the strongest extraterestrial X-ray sources, that are periodically eclipsed. According, of course, to the time one was concieved, not born.

The actual astrological forecast is made upon 3 planes. The person, the place and the time. Based on a duodecimal system, and various extrapatalations. An essential 12^3 +n variations.

Cards is similar, only on 4 planes, and with 13 per suit. But, then again, Tarrot was another arcane art that purported to tell one's future. Hard to say what's the enduring attraction?

Hi, this site has great information and this site consists the difference between signs and constellations...The future is unpredictable. I’m always the High Priestess, when reading astrology, horoscope, when having them read…and here too.

Hi, this site has great information and this site consists the difference between signs and constellations...The future is unpredictable. I’m always the High Priestess, when reading astrology, horoscope, when having them read…and here too.
People who join to lead us to a great site they've found are SPAMMERS. Your account will be left open temporarily on the off chance you come back to actually discuss something.