Dependant or not?

Kermit

Hey everyone.

I've run into a little conundrum recently, relating to my applications for financial aid and college and such. It's a rather complex situation, so i'll try to describe it to my best ability if anyone's willing to help.

There are two people involved in this: me, and my estranged biological father. I have not seen my father in twelve years, and in fact am very hesitant to want anything to do with him again, since he's not exactly a very rational person (in fact, he's insane). He pays child support, however, and also happens to be a Vietnam War veteran. His Vietnam War veteran status is what i'm considering to use to get certain scholarships, since i'm at poverty line. Thus, I have this to ask:

Does the fact that I recieve child support make me a dependant of my father, and, if so, is there any way I can apply to any scholarships for dependants of Vietnam War veterans without having to confront him in person?

Any help on this would be appreciated, and if I was vague or phrased things poorly, let me know.