A Line to the Moon

foodchain

If you somehow were able to attach a line to the moon, for example a chain(does not have to be though), and then attach it to earth what would that look like visually, and also what effects would that have in a 24 hour period, and could you climb it?

*I have no idea on where to place such a thread or even if its acceptable on this forum.

If you somehow were able to attach a line to the moon, for example a chain(does not have to be though), and then attach it to earth what would that look like visually, and also what effects would that have in a 24 hour period, and could you climb it?

*I have no idea on where to place such a thread or even if its acceptable on this forum.

there are lots of problems with the idea in a practical way; if the lines were attached to the moon and not on earth and you could catch this line which would travel about 900 mile per hour, you could climb. since were in lala land, you trip would be hard till out of earths gravity, easy till you reached the moons gravity and you would be letting yourself down (not climbing) when there.

wonder how much a chain 240k miles long would weight???

there are lots of problems with the idea in a practical way; if the lines were attached to the moon and not on earth and you could catch this line which would travel about 900 mile per hour, you could climb. since were in lala land, you trip would be hard till out of earths gravity, easy till you reached the moons gravity and you would be letting yourself down (not climbing) when there.

wonder how much a chain 240k miles long would weight???

I know, it would probably have to be mounted on some rail system on the earth, the upside is all the energy creation from it, I think you could at any rate. Trying to get on the line would be next to impossible in most regards unless the rail system had a cart of even a plane to match speeds, then again 900mph winds probably would be very hard on a human body. I wonder how loud it would be overall, that’s another thing to think about. Also the weight of whatever object or medium or matter you used for the chain would be immense regardless if it was a chain to made of some foam substance. So getting it up to the moon would pose a serious problem in that regard also. Its practically impossible in my opinion too, I was just wondering what other people think it might look like, personally I think a view of such would be rather awesome to behold but such is not really worth the endeavor it would take to implement a line to the moon and related environmental impacts. Plus lastly I doubt we really have any material that could withstand everything considered to support such, not for any real length of time that is, maybe if it was some sort of nanotube but then what’s the point?

for a number of reasons, the idea will never be considered.

however what i think interest you are in "Space Elevator Theory", which some are working on. the object to get equipment and materials into space and even this 122 mile project is questionable. you might google and get a handle on the principles...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Foodchain,

I dont think that the moon would stay equidistant from the earth's surface and therefore the line would have to be extensible to avoid disturbing the orbits, in this sense(there is of course the friction afore mentioned)

Who knows what may be possible one day with the silk that spiders create.
Building the chain is probably possible with current material technologies, attaching to the respective celestial bodies would be the major issue, y'know, aside from the devastating destruction and chaos that would certainly ensue.

I don't think a line to the moon would be possible, given the fact that the orbit is not equidistant and the fact that you would need some really, really strong material to keep the moon and earth connected. Otherwise, the sheer force of the gravity between the Earth and the Moon would snap it.

As we can't anchor the moon to one spot on Earth's surface, it's not in a geosynchronous orbit, we'd first need to build a ring around Earth to attach our end of the carbon nanofibre thread to.

Any owners of large dog runs here?

Well, I have calculated how strong the chain or rope or structure would have to be in order to stay attached to the Earth:

F = (Gm1m2)/(d^2) = [(6.67259 x 10^-11)( 5.97 x 10^24 kg)(7.34 x 10^22 kg)] / (3.90778 x 10^8)^2

Force = 1.915 x 10^20 N !!!!!!!!!

So, in order to attach the moon to the earth, you would need something that can withstand atleast 1.915 x 10^20 N of force, or about 43044618100860800000 pounds. Not saying that it is impossible, but you have some huge technical hurdles to overcome if you want to attach the Earth to the Moon.

Needless to say, it is obviously more practical to have the structure move with the moon's orbit, but that is another problem within itself, since if it doesn't follow the moon's orbit exactly, it will break apart.

It isn't the amount of force the chain would have to apply, but it is force that it would have to be able to withstand in order to stay attached.

Its like trying to build a space elevator (and why its difficult at this time), the cord attaching the two objects has to be strong enough to withstand the gravitational force between the object and the planet, otherwise it will rip apart.