Spud Gun Ignition System

kitkitkit

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

kitkitkit said in post # :

YT, if you have been on my website, did you see the section on fuses, it has the match head paste on it.

Btw, today i "found" 15cm of magnesium, any good uses? (I have already tried to make a fuse, it didnt work) :doh:

well match heads are just one 100s of methods really, they work, but I wouldn`t rate them highly for safety or reliability, but there ok at a push.

as for the magnesium, when you say 15cms, I take it you mean in ribbon form?

well there not really alot you can do with it in that form, but you can make a few small batteries with that amount, good enough to power an LED or small digital watch for a few hours :)

well there is no "Magik" in chemistry, and there`s no "WOW" factor in 15cms of Mg ribbon, I just figured that since you had such a tiny amount, you may use it to learn something as opposed to setting it on fire, making 3 seconds of bright light and ending up with a load of useless white powder, that`s all :)

• 1 year later...

ha ha ha, look I've been reading this along, and I'm only 14, I'm a cirtified pyro, and idiot... but i was looking for somthing fun, but maby somthing just to pop your sister with when she ticks you off, you know? so I thought, what if you had a seperate chamber, where you could preasurize things (seltzer, tonic, or baking soda and viniger, etc), so it would shoot. I've thought and planned, and I see that it obviously dosn't have enough power for a potato but what about things like plastic bags melted to make a pellet? I'm currently trying out somthing similar, please write back if you have any ideas, or questions for ammo, or preasurization....

fuses.... bah!

the gas ones have far to many things that can go wrong with them, and they dont work as well anyway...

its all about compressed air. no failed ignitions, no wrong fuel/air ratio, no annoying flames, no explosion to help the police zero in on your location... plus a LOT more distance from what i have heard. i have seen plans for compressed air models thatll shoot 2 inches of spud a half a mile. the one me and my buddies made is only rated to a few hundred yards though...

Could you just hook up an air compressor to a pipe? I mean if your not into this seriously, but just wanna blow the crap outta somthing, or peg your sister, couldn't you use pressurization? examples= alkaseltzer, baking soda+ vineger, shaken tonic... the possibilities are endless, where you won't get the power, but if your 14, how much more power do I need???

i was going to make a comprssed air spud cannon but decides not to because you need a valve that can open very rapidly (ball valve) and can let through lots of air. The valve and other hardware would cost a fourtone so i decided the only way to go would make one with a disposable 16oz propane tank and a fuel/air mixer. the thing would be steel. I have a big idea but dont live on acreage so i probaly wouldnt use it. Insead i went of and made a compressed air air gun that shoots anything the size of a pencil (yes, screws\nails) at a high velocity.

just remember this for distance, the longer the barrel the more distance. And when i make fuses for my firecrackers/rockets/fountains/mines/watever i use tissue paper with meal powder in it and rolled up. Meal is just fine ball milled black powder.

i was going to make a comprssed air spud cannon but decides not to because you need a valve that can open very rapidly (ball valve) and can let through lots of air. The valve and other hardware would cost a fourtone so i decided the only way to go would make one with a disposable 16oz propane tank and a fuel/air mixer. the thing would be steel. I have a big idea but dont live on acreage so i probaly wouldnt use it. Insead i went of and made a compressed air air gun that shoots anything the size of a pencil (yes, screws\nails) at a high velocity.

cost a fortune... lol.

the valve costs about 5 bucks, the tubes cost about 10-20 bucks total.

(if you want to let the air through real quicklike you dont use a valve, you use a diaphram, which makes the difference between the 2-300 yard model we made and the half mile model you can find online)

lol... ill try to find a diagram... diaphram isnt just the thing that moves your lungs, there is actually a form of birthcontrol known as a diaphram too.

what im referring to is esentially a rubber washer, with a very small hole in the middle (1/4 inch?) and a very wide outer radius (3-4 inches?) the moves against the barrel when your building up the pressure but then moves very quickly out of the way when your ready to fire.