more MSDS Exaggerations perhaps?

YT2095

apparently...

Ammonium Chloride mixed with Ammonium Nitrate will react Violently and possibly explode.

Also Sodium NitrIte when heated to decomp will Explode!

is there Any truth in this at all?

I have done both reactions and none of these lead to an explosion. It may be true, when you heat several tonnes of the chemicals in a confined space, but it certainly does not apply to the test tube experiments you do.

These MSDS's always give the most horrible scenario. You may remember the Toulouse disaster with NH4NO3. But that was with 20000 kilo of the chemical, in a metal container, in a violent fire.

I tried both of them at milligram levels and nothing at all, I can`t even see how the reaction between the 2 ammonium salts can even take place!???

I added Mg powder and all I got was a few bubbles and ammonia gas smell also.

NH4NO3 can decompose to give N2O and steam, it can also give N2, O2 and steam depending on the conditions- the important fact is that it can do this exothermically so if you get enough of it together it can be made to explode. Adding certain impurities like a fuel or (for some obscure reason) chlorides increases the likelihood of this reaction. The NH4Cl isn't a reactant, but a catalyst.

NaNO2 should be pretty dull unless there is some impurity present to act as a fuel.

I know of an exothermic reaction, which can be started with water. Mix ammonium nitrate and finely powdered zinc and add a drop of water. Nothing happens.

Mix ammonium nitrate, ammonium chloride, and finely powdered zinc and add a drop of water. The mix will react exothermically, and may even ignite with appearance of fire.

So, the chloride plays some catalytic role, but I don't know which one.