human senses

weknowthewor

• 2 weeks later...

In order to sense the outside world the sense organs have to be on the outside of the body (at least, they can't be stuck in the middle). All cells produce waste so they have to get rid of it somehow. For those cells near the surface they might as well just dump it.

However; earwax, saliva, snot and tears are not waste products. They are deliberately produced to help keep the sense organs clean. Sweat too has a real function as well as dumping some waste.

• 2 weeks later...
In order to sense the outside world the sense organs have to be on the outside of the body (at least, they can't be stuck in the middle). All cells produce waste so they have to get rid of it somehow. For those cells near the surface they might as well just dump it.

However; earwax, saliva, snot and tears are not waste products. They are deliberately produced to help keep the sense organs clean. Sweat too has a real function as well as dumping some waste.

I know of only one kind of sensory receptor cell that comes into direct contact with the external environment: the chemoreceptors lining the nasal cavity and on the tongue. All others are internal. Cochleal mechanoreceptorss are in the inner ear, photoreceptors are in the retina and all skin touch receptors are dermal or subdermal.

i always wonder why there is always some type of waste comming out of all five senses of a human boby??? is there only waste filled inside the human boby??

Yes, if you want to define it that way. Our atoms were probably contained in something we might have considered 'waste' at one point in time. At the atomic level, what we call waste really isn't any different than anything else.

Glider,

"I know of only one kind of sensory receptor cell that comes into direct contact with the external environment: the chemoreceptors lining the nasal cavity and on the tongue. All others are internal. Cochleal mechanoreceptorss are in the inner ear, photoreceptors are in the retina and all skin touch receptors are dermal or subdermal."

True, but I was talking about organs rather than cells.

Ears do stick out.

Skin can shed waste products straight into the outside world in a way that, for example, a liver can't.

Since earwax etc are not waste products anyway it hardly matters.

Glider,

"I know of only one kind of sensory receptor cell that comes into direct contact with the external environment: the chemoreceptors lining the nasal cavity and on the tongue. All others are internal. Cochleal mechanoreceptorss are in the inner ear, photoreceptors are in the retina and all skin touch receptors are dermal or subdermal."

True, but I was talking about organs rather than cells.

Ears do stick out.

True, but they're not organs.We don't have any organs that 'stick out'.
Skin can shed waste products straight into the outside world in a way that, for example, a liver can't.

Since earwax etc are not waste products anyway it hardly matters.

Waste from the liver passes straight into the blood stream and out through the kidneys.

The OED defines the ear as the organ of hearing.
The OED is very broad in its definition. The 'ear' is not an organ. The outer ear (pinna and external auditory meatus) only direct sound to the timpanic membrane. The pinna is just a flap pf folded cartilage, fat and skin and is not necessary for hearing.

The middle ear is where the auditory ossicles (malleus, incus and stapes) mechanically amplify the movement of the timpanic membrane, passing the pressure waves through to the inner ear. The inner ear is where the cochlea and vestibular mechanism lies. The organ of sound reception is the cochlea as it is this structure that contains the organ of Corti; the mechanism that transduces pressure waves into electrochemical signals.

"Waste from the liver passes straight into the blood stream and out through the kidneys."

Gosh! You don't say!. I thought it quantumn tunneled out.

Careful now.