Sign in to follow this  
ffsjoe

How many grams of CO2?

I wish to find how how many grams of CO2 are needed to enrich a room to 1500ppm. I've tried to work it out but cannot figure it out completely.

The dimensions of the room are 2.9m*1.9m*0.9m which equals 4.959m cubed rounded off to 5 cubic meters.

Then to find how many cubic meters of CO2 are needed this is multiplied by 0.0015

5*0.0015 = 0.0075 cubic meters of CO2 needed.

At a temperature of 25C and pressure of 100kPa 1 mole of a gas will occupy 24.79L.

1 mole of CO2 has a mass of 44 grams.

.0075 (cubic meters) = 7.5 liters

24.79L/7.5L = 3.3053 grams of CO2 needed?

This cannot be correct and I must have gone wrong somewhere could someone help put me on the right track?

think BTU's are used in determining heating space and what device to heat determines CO2, if any.

Could you take as a ratio of air to CO2? than have 1500(Co2) x (air)/1 mil check that answer out so that you get that = 1500ppm for X grams of CO2.

the number of moles of CO2 in the room at 25 deg. C and approximately 1 bar - now multiply by the number of grams in a mole of CO2

By the way if you can't calculate something this simple I HOPE you aren't out there commenting on the effects of CO2 in the atmosphere ...

MilesD - lay off it mate! Sometimes when theres lots of steps its a little confusing to do a calculation the first time. I remember I had all sorts of problems with moles calculations when I was studying A-level chemistry!

Perhaps it would be good to establish how many moles of gas there are in the room at first? I think this is what GutZ said too

Matt