- Iq -

Dreamer

What are the average IQ's of Physics, Chemistry and Biology B.S-M.S-Ph.D's? Can IQ measure intelligence? What is the meaning of an IQ score? How can it be explained that the IQ of Richard Feynman (Greatest scientific mind since WW2) is 'only' around 125, below Madonna (142)?

Dudde and MrL must have low IQs ;)

:jk: :jk: :jk: :jk: :jk: :jk: :jk: :jk: :jk: :jk: :jk: :jk: :jk: :jk: :jk: :jk: :jk: :jk: :jk: :jk: :jk: :jk: :jk: :jk: :jk: :jk: :jk: :jk: :jk: :jk: :jk: :jk: :jk: :jk: :jk:

Just so you know I'm KIDDING.

Dudde said in post # :

IQ tests are nothing more than playthings, as are the scores

(but somebody else will have to explain them to you, because obviously MrL cannot)

There's a fundamental difference between cannot and chooses not to.

Wow, Madonna has 142 IQ?

IQ's alot of factors. It' kinda' funny actually. My prof. went in for a iq test, and for written/communication or whatnot, he scored "barely retarded" in his words. For his spatial (imaging 3d stuff), he placed 7th out of a million.

:P

and Madona (albeit against my better tastes) is actualy quite a shrewd business woman, and more than certainly knows how to play the media game, I have no problem understanding how she may score so highly on such a test at all, even though her muzik sux and her acting (so to speak) is even worse. as MrL said, IQ is Rubbish! (or at least the tests to establish it are!) :)

The IQ test was only designed to be able to measure intellect when combined with a large number of other scores, and even then it's making quite a few assumptions about the distribution of intelligence, and the tests that are given are in fact almost always wrong, as they don't take the assumed distribution into account.

For instance, in the 'Test the Nation' thing on BBC, they not only had a very very poor IQ test, they also came out with an average IQ of 107 for the country, which is impossible given that the average is ALWAYS 100.

MrL_JaKiri said in post # :

For instance, in the 'Test the Nation' thing on BBC, they not only had a very very poor IQ test, they also came out with an average IQ of 107 for the country, which is impossible given that the average is ALWAYS 100.

Looking at the status of the Earth, I find it hard to believe that the average human has an IQ of 100...

When measuring a group quantitatively with an IQ test, 100 is the definition of average, but a real group of people will virtually never meet that average. The average of everyone in the world will work out to be pretty close to 100... but with a select group of people, it can be higher. Like the average IQ in an upper level science course is probably around 120.

The 107 average is still within one standard deviation (15 points, 85-115) from the mean.

NormalCurveRod.gif

When I was in junior school we had mandatory IQ tests and the results were expressed in % rather than the number (as in your in the top 20%, top 10% of the country etc).

Interestingly they never explained that it was an IQ test, I only found out 8 years later when I was told by accident (when they were going through university applications at school). The government only carried it the tests on 5 years of students, and then ceased. Hence my suspicion of both the UK governments tracking of intelligence and that stupid Mensa thing.

IQ is only for determining how well you can take data and process it in a given amount of time. IQ determines things like problem solving. If you are like me, and know things like the max range of an AIM-54 is more than 90 miles, and that the speed of light is 186,000 mps, and orbital velocity at 200 miles up is 17,300 mph, that doesn't affect IQ.

My IQ is 152, with lowest in Verbal and highest in Math. That's kinda funny, because most of other people consider me a total idiot. Actually, they even thought I was an idiot; that's why they forced me to take an IQ test. My 'exceptional' mental abilities never helped me, though. I never excelled in anything.

152! wow, beats me, 149 here, and yeah, I get alot of that "other people consider me a total idiot" thing too, `till I open my mouth (and then they KNOW I`m totaly out of my tree, LOL).

seriously though, I`de value Common Sense and LifeSkills a great deal more than IQ (personal Opinion).

I guess the IQ thing is just another way to put us all into neat little boxes or pidgeon holes, rather than treat us like one big pink homogenous blob :)

Just took the WAIS. Did not score so high as Dreamer (138, standardized for age/gender) and can well understand how does not help in real life. And while have not specifically received the "idiot" response, generally appear smart and capable enough that when find simple matters baffling is interpreted as willful obstinacy, some sort of game or some other such moral failing

What readings have done to date on autism spectrum disorders have been illuminating and sobering, as can identify how many of the cognitive deficits (and in most cases, though not all, must agree they do indeed represent deficits) do apply to me (and not to ignore the emotional, but not the topic here)

Have questions myself for how the IQ is to be interpreted, having just taken it. My summation score before the age/gender standarization was 163, and not sure what that is or is not supposed to correlate to, or rather, am not sure how would turn for a different age/gender group and what the validity of that micro standardization is

The summary scores are reported as verbal and performance, the index as verbal, perceptual, and working memory.

Also, a difference between verbal and performance of 10 is supposedly of some significance, whereas seems to me at a minimum should be based on some sort of percent difference not absolute (they also gave me the frequency for the difference, in my case 12, as 27.8%, which pretty much shows far as I'm concerned how artificial an absolute difference is for significance)

Mr L_JaKiri, will accept any explanations or elaborations you (or anyone else) care to offer