I need help concerning a notebook purchase...

Rexus

Hey there and thanks for clicking into this topic. I'm in need of a notebook for my university, and I was wondering what you think is the best bang for buck amongst these.

http://www.pcandparts.com/notebook.htm

Keep in mind that the linked-to site is my only option

And on a side note, what do you prefer, smaller or bigger screens on your laptops?

Thanks in advance :)

Thanks for the quick reply. I want it for anything really. Read PDFs, use software, play some games, browse the web, etc. The macbooks seem pricy compared to others when they really got not much else beside looks... Am I missing something here? Thanks.

Thanks for the quick reply. I want it for anything really. Read PDFs, use software, play some games, browse the web, etc. The macbooks seem pricy compared to others when they really got not much else beside looks... Am I missing something here? Thanks.

They're built VERY VERY well. Generally nicely specd. normally the price comparison between the same spec other vendor or a similar quality is about the same.

If you want gaming, you want something with a seperate VGA graphics memory. VERY important that imo anyway.

Why is the link-to site the only option?

If you're using it for school stuff and you don't need it for games or anything you don't need higher than an M (or equivalent) processor and 512 mb of RAM. I'd get a Thinkpad, I like 'em.

I'd go smaller screen, but it's a preference.

Well, it's the only site pertaining to my country, so that's why I listed it as the only option. Thanks for the advice; I'll take it into consideration. And I've always wanted a smaller screen but was afraid of having eye trouble.

• 3 weeks later...

As a note, I've been in a college for a while. I don't play games anymore... not really. Having a laptop for playing games is not a big concern of mine. Having a laptop that allows me to make backups of important documents is a more valuable laptop than anything else.

For a student, all a student needs is a TI calculator with keyboard. From there, he or she can use latex commands to format the text. Afterwards, he or she can run it through a processor and have snazzy documents.

But, for the person wanting to be a conformist, I suppose a laptop with 512 MB ram, a dvd burner/reader, USB, and peripherals will do ok.

External Iomega with USB extension allows for decent backups. Otherwise, manipulation of autohotkey allows for disc-burned backups.