If you didn't have to work, what would you do?

Sisyphus

The scenario is the following. You have been given a permanent, completely unconditional salary, equivalent to that of a solidly middle class job, maybe a little above average. You pay no taxes. You can spend as little or as much as you want, however, there are several restrictions. You cannot make any investments. You cannot sell anything for money. You cannot take out any kind of loan. You can have a job, but you cannot accept any salary. You are allowed to save your money, and can access it anywhere, but you can collect no interest on it. If you think up any other loophole to increase your budget, assume you can't do that either. Also, you don't have the option of refusing this deal. It's just the way things are.

Ok, now. What do you do with your life?

first of all, i would finish university then go a tour of europe with my friends, find a job, and do that till i retire. then try and fulfill my ambition of living to be the worlds oldest skydiver :P

See the not getting a salary for a job thing, are you allowed to donate that salary to a charity? or does it just not exist at all.

So I take it anything we buy...say if I wanted to buy a house in the countryside, it won't go up in value? Anyway, I'd do that, have an adequate study (with sound proofing) nothing too extravagant, so I can carry on with my degree in peace.

Then pick up, where I left off with my traveling...do that for a few years (on a shoestring) come back, study for my masters, perhaps further, then sit in my study writing theoretical papers, pipe in one hand, fine malt in the other...so I guess I'd have to write my articles using my feet, oh well.

Then when I'm bored with that, go traveling again, or try and get a research job...be involved with a mission to investigate Enceladus or something similar, if I don't have what it takes, then go traveling. :)

I would buy a farm, grow enough fresh vegetables and fruit for freinds and family. Raise chickens and pigs. Ride my bicycle, repair and build bikes to my hearts content. Read books, surf the net, watch the news and weather,and with the rest of my time I would contemplate the wonders.

either continue to do research, but do private coursework, as opposed to pesky undergraduate classes, or become a musician. Hell, maybe even both.

If I go into music, I'm interested in either, eastern european/balkan secular & Jewish folk music, or 1970's style Rock n' Roll.

If science, micro & genetics and a little biochem.

I'll assume that the injunction against loans doesn't apply to scientific grants, since they're used for research and not personal gain.

Aside from frequent vacations all over the world (mostly to tropical locations) for both relaxation and studying/importing reptile species, I'd fund my fiancee's dog & iguana rescue efforts, and help her get her PhD in eastern theology.

As for myself, I'd keep doing research, hopefully in a faculty position (hey, who'd turn down a faculty member they don't have to pay?). I'd have my entire yard torn up and replaced with a huge carnivorous plant bog in front and and a greenhouse full of tropical carnivores in back, along with some outdoor reptile cages. I'd buy assorted cool species of reptile, perhaps get them breeding in captivity, and collect more skeletons and fossils. And either publish my book or find an artist to make it a comic.

Mokele

Interesting commonality with extensive travelling and educational/academic self-improvement. That would basically be my plans as well. Move every year or so to a different part of the world, read voraciously, interspersed by formal education, maybe pick up a couple PhDs in philosophy and mathematics, or even something else entirely. Although, to be honest, for maybe the first two or three months I'd probably wallow in sheer, decadent laziness. You know, get up after noon, go days without pants, sit on the couch eating huge blocks of cheese. Does that not seem appealing to anyone else?

You know, get up after noon, go days without pants, sit on the couch eating huge blocks of cheese. Does that not seem appealing to anyone else?

Very,very appealling. Don't forget the crackers :)

EDIT: I forgot about music, as mentioned a couple of times...but that kinda goes without saying as far as I'm concerned.

Let's say it doesn't exist at all. (You can, of course, work for charitable organizations, or give away as much of your stipend as you want.)

Also, just curious, but what kind of job?

okay, i was going to say i would donate any salaries to charities if i couldn't have it, but oh well.

yeah i would work as a chemical engineer but i'm not sure whether i would go into research or the actual manufacturing side of it if i get paid anyway. since this deal isn't likely to come along, i think i'll give research a miss.

although, i'll probably change my mind several times before i graduate.

• 2 weeks later...

Travel the world looking into the various enigmas of the past.

Learn Sumerian, Babylonian, Hieroglyphics and God knows what else. To go and see. ( While forwarding all interesting reptiles to Mokele.:) )

I'll assume that the injunction against loans doesn't apply to scientific grants, since they're used for research and not personal gain.
s for myself, I'd keep doing research, hopefully in a faculty position (hey, who'd turn down a faculty member they don't have to pay?).

*Sigh* Heaven. Or maybe a pure research institute given sufficient funding. *sigh once more*

It sounds like the worst possible scenario, I'd rather owe $100,000 than accept that fate.

Everything I want to do simply costs way more than any normal salary could provide for, and even if I don't succeed in my various money making adventures I couldn't live without the hope that I at least have a chance.

I suppose I'd become an evangelist for the ideas I want to see happen, and try to convince other people to part with their money to make themselves money by investing in them (without me getting a cent), while attempting to achieve the effects I want to see in the world that way.

On the whole I'd try to direct the interests of youth towards careers that result in technological and social advancement through entertainment/education.

I was just thinking about this the other day, but in my daydream I had won a lottery and had to figure out how to live the rest of my life on one lump sum.

I think this scenario would be pretty much the same for me. I make a distinction between a "vacation" and a "trip". Vacations are for parking your butt somewhere beautiful and catching up on your reading without the stress of having to be somewhere doing something. Trips are for exploring, learning, sightseeing and education. I would immediately go on a three week vacation to St. Croix, followed by a trip to Europe (or possibly Turkey or Costa Rica).

As for what I'd do instead of work a job, I would like to work with builders around the world to promote sustainable architecture and design. I would like to put together a team of engineers and architects to travel around the world implementing LEED certification (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) in countries that desperately need it. Alternative energy strategies are being funded massively in the Pacific Rim and right now they have more money than ideas so research and planning won't have to come out of my salary.

I don't have to have a lot of material possessions. I think traveling more would actually force me to cut back on buying more stuff (best to travel light). If I'm spending less time at home then I don't need as much anyway.

I would probably hire an au pair to school my daughter as we travel. I could probably find someone good who would be willing to take a minimal salary in exchange for room, board and travel expenses. Going back to school myself would have to wait since I need to save what I can for my daughter's college. I like that my retirement is taken care of but there are many expenses I'm sure I am forgetting.

Go to school for ever :P

Seriously though I would. What could be more fun then learning something new and interesting everyday. Then learning a new language and spending time at a university in a foreign country learning about their views on the same subjects.

What an amazingly beautiful life that would be.

i will buy an apartment in new york, subscribe to cable and watch the daily show every day. I will buy lots and lots of dvds and watch all day long. Then when i get sick of it i will go try acting or go on a holiday with my family and friends to australia.

• 2 weeks later...
Interesting commonality with extensive travelling and educational/academic self-improvement. That would basically be my plans as well.

allow me to mix it up a little.

you know all those incredibly stupid things teenagers do? not just the standard stuff, but the stuff that ends up on youtube, or break.com, or Cops?

id do that. id build a trebuchet out of two by fours. id learn to weld and make a tank (not panzer sized, more like small minivan sized). i would have every kind of spudgun my heart could desire. my house would be adorned with all sorts of cool yet ultimately useless things, including but not limited to a slide down from the roof into the pool, and a minifridge in every room.

also, gocarts.

i know the situation is not that i won the lottery, but fortunately all the stupid things i want to do can be done on my parents salary but not my own.

im sure id get bored of all that and go and explore the world and do the education thing, or whatever it is you all said, but in the mean time whatever is left over after basic expenses would get blown on worthless short term entertainment.