eye irritation

For some reason, for the past few days my eye has been irritated. In the corner of my left eye (the corner towards my ear, not my nose), underneath the top eyelid, I feel a shot of pain whenever I blink. I tried to look under the lid, and I can see no physical obstruction that could cause such a pain. Is it possible that I bruised either the eye ball or eye lid, which would cause the pain?

I'm not freaking out yet, but it's been several days and the pain hasn't really abated much, so I'm beginning to get concered. I'm worried about an infection or some sort of sty. Thanks.

See a doctor. I had somewhat similar symptoms in that location last fall — it felt like something in the eye but nothing was there. It was a corneal erosion (a recurring erosion, as it had happened before, though not as badly). It would happen when I woke up, and then subside, or not. I think a big potential danger is an infection. Doc fixed it with steroid drops and antibiotics, and I haven't had a problem in several months. I got some temporary relief with eyedrops and an eyewash, and dim lights/wearing sunglasses (that way you don't strain your eye making the iris contract). See a doctor.

Don't take chances with your eyesight. And did I mention? See a doctor.

the eyeball itself is incapable of feeling pain, and as Swansont said, the real risk is infection (esp if you rub it alot unconsciously), see your Doc!

I had a similar thing, turned out to be metal swarf from using a grinder 4 days prior, I still have the taint on the eyeball now and was roughly 18 hours from loosing most of the sight, don`t mess about, get it seen to ASAP!

Err?

"the eyeball itself is incapable of feeling pain,"

Having scratched the cornea of my eye a few years back I can tell you the eye is quite definitely capable of feeling pain. It left me lying in bed for a day because I couldn't see. Even with the damaged eye shut , every time I looked round at something it seemed to scrape the damaged bit across the inside of the eyelid (which, lets face it is pretty smooth really).

Did you know that when you listen to stereo musc recordings your eyes tend to follow the loudest sound?

I didn't until every movement of the eye hurt like blazes.

BTW, Ecoli, if you haven't gone to the local hospital's emergency room yet, might I ask what you are waiting for?