Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Ozinix

Where to get manganese dioxide?

Recommended Posts

I'm just trying to find a good source of MnO2 without buying a 25KG bag of it.. any suggestions?

 

and, is there any difference in "Electrolytic manganese dioxide"?

 

Thnx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Find a battery. Open it. The Black stuff is MnO2. No, it's not toxic.

 

I suggest using a 6 volt battery, b/c have 4 nice little "canisters" of MnO2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The material from batteries (only zinc/carbon batteries are OK) is VERY impure. It is mixed with carbon and possibly other crap. Besides that, it is extremely messy and dirty.

 

A much better source are the ceramics and potteries suppliers. These sell MnO2 at reasonable (certainly not reagent grade) purity, suitable for most home experiments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

john, that refers to manganese metal, not its dioxide. however, its not something you would really want to be eating none the less. as long as you don't eat a sizable chunk of the stuff you should be fine handling it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Manganesse is an essential trace element in plant growth, ditto for Copper (also toxic), Cobalt is a carcinogen (but also required in Cyanocobalamine, a B vit) I could continue...

 

MnO2 isn`t going to cause ANY harm :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with John, it is true for any manganese compound (remember, all manganese compounds easily are oxidized to either +2 or +4 oxidation state, depending on pH).

On the other hand, if you have an occasional exposure, due to experimenting with MnO2, then in a practical sense I agree with YT.

I myself sometimes experiment with manganese compounds and I take the usual precautions, but do not treat it in a special way as a highly toxic chemical. But if I had to work in a place with manganese around 5 days per week, then things would be another matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every chemical we work with has the potential to be toxic for us. Hell, a recent radio station contest that went wrong proved that plain old H2O can be toxic to us. A simple use of good chemical hygene, common sense, and paying attention will keep you good and safe for a long, long time.

 

This is MnO2 we're talking about, not KCN, Ni(CO)4, AsH3, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
"No, it's not toxic."

Want to bet on that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manganism

 

I suppose if one ate a lb of it while bathing in it you may be correct. The amounts that are typically experimented with are most likely not going to kill you.

 

If they do, then that person was probably going to prove Darwin was correct anyway.

 

Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not saying that the stuff is hugely toxic. I just think it's plain dumb to make a statement like "No, it's not toxic" when, in fact, it is toxic. This is meant to be a scientific forum. Plainly inaccurate postings like that serve no purpose, worse they may persuade some fool to ignore the toxic nature of Mn compounds and harm themselves. You may wish to disregard those people as candidates for a Darwin award, but that's not a point I'd like to have to argue with their family or their lawyer.

 

As for this comment "john, that refers to manganese metal, not its dioxide."

What are you talking about? Do you really believe that Mn wouldn't get oxidised in the body? Do you really think that MnO2 wouldn't get reduced? Don't you understand that the toxicity refered to in the Wiki article is about welding fumes? Do you think those fumes are the metal rather than its oxide(s)?

If anything the higher oxidation states are likely to do more damage.

 

The comment "MnO2 isn`t going to cause ANY harm :)" is simply at odds with the facts; Mn has caused harm and it probably will again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As with many things. Use common sense. There are risks, but they can be managed, but yes, you have to know the risks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.