Carbon Dioxide transformation

H2O

hello everybody

i discovered by myself the process of transforming carbon dioxide into calcium carbonate. and i think this is the solution for problems concerning CO2 emissions in factories. i tested the process and luckily it works!(science project in highschool). Plz rep if you need more info.:D

hello everybody

i discovered by myself the process of transforming carbon dioxide into calcium carbonate. and i think this is the solution for problems concerning CO2 emissions in factories. i tested the process and luckily it works!(science project in highschool). Plz rep if you need more info.:D

That's all well and good, you can use Ca2+ to remove carbonate from water and therefore CO2 from the air. But you have an enormous problem, where do you get the Ca2+ from? Nearly all the easily processable calcium used in industry is obtained from limestone. To obtain the Ca2+ from the limestone you need to release CO2, and thus you're back where you started.

Tetrahedrite--------"That's all well and good, you can use Ca2+ to remove carbonate from water and therefore CO2 from the air. But you have an enormous problem, where do you get the Ca2+ from? Nearly all the easily processable calcium used in industry is obtained from limestone. To obtain the Ca2+ from the limestone you need to release CO2, and thus you're back where you started."------

---------"Calcium carbonate minus carbon dioxide is either calcium oxide or lime water - where do you take them from?"

Borek-----------

i think you have an idea of how i transform CO2 to calcium carbonate. the question is the source of your calcium. double displacements could create CaOH in the labaratory. and the rest is highschool chemistry.:D

ps. u just need all the calcium in the world w/ a catch do not produce CaO or CaOH if ur by product is CO2 it just destroy the cause. After that the calcium carbonate is collected. And its all up to u to find some uses for that. Maybe bury them or build a your own pyramid. Well pyramids in egypt are built with limestone u know.;)

i think you have an idea of how i transform CO2 to calcium carbonate. the question is the source of your calcium. double displacements could create CaOH in the labaratory. and the rest is highschool chemistry.:D

ps. u just need all the calcium in the world w/ a catch do not produce CaO or CaOH if ur by product is CO2 it just destroy the cause. After that the calcium carbonate is collected. And its all up to u to find some uses for that. Maybe bury them or build a your own pyramid. Well pyramids in egypt are built with limestone u know.;)

I think you're missing the point, or your grasp of chemistry is rather weak, you can't create calcium out of thin air (easily:rolleyes:), and especially in the quantities required to remove even one person's contribution to global warming.

Yes but your Ca(OH)2 was most likely produced via CaCO3=>CaO+Co2 then CaO+2H2O=>CaOH2. When you absorb CO2 all your doing is a time tested way of making CaCO3. The CO2 reacts with H2O to make carbonic acid H2CO3 which reacts with the Ca(OH)2 via Ca(OH)2+H2CO3=>CaCO3+H2O nothing new. In the end the mining of the CaCO3 and converting it to CaO(most likely using a nat gas furnace) would emit more CO2 then you could consume with the Ca(OH)2

Yes but your Ca(OH)2 was most likely produced via CaCO3=>CaO+Co2 then CaO+2H2O=>CaOH2. When you absorb CO2 all your doing is a time tested way of making CaCO3. The CO2 reacts with H2O to make carbonic acid H2CO3 which reacts with the Ca(OH)2 via Ca(OH)2+H2CO3=>CaCO3+H2O nothing new. In the end the mining of the CaCO3 and converting it to CaO(most likely using a nat gas furnace) would emit more CO2 then you could consume with the Ca(OH)2

Exactly. You have to get the Ca(OH)2 from somewhere.

But u see u can produce Ca(OH)2 by double displacement. they are all ions Ca2+ and OH-. A compound like MgOH or even CuOH could react to CaCl or any combination to produce Ca2+. Ca2+ is the one needed for the transformation. u just need to find Ca2+ in aqueos solution beacause you need the water too. Not all Ca2+ is found in the form of CaOH u know. So no worry to transform CaCO3 to lime stone. My calcium source is diff. i did not get my calcium from burning of chalk(CaCO3).

Calcium sources are abundant in the earth's crust. you could find calcium compounds that are not carbonate based. You could have calcium silicate compounds. use calcium in the process while using silicon in computers.

Calcium sources are abundant in the earth's crust. you could find calcium compounds that are not carbonate based. You could have calcium silicate compounds. use calcium in the process while using silicon in computers.

It is true that compounds such as wollastonite, CaSiO3, are common in the Earth's crust, but do you have any idea how much energy it would require not just to mine it, as bob000555 pointed out, but process it. The covalent and ionic bonds in Ca-bearing silicates is exceedingly strong, and I would suggest that you would probably produce around 5x as much CO2 in the energy required than you would extract.

It is possible you could use gypsum, CaSO4, but once again mining it would probably get you back where you started (not to mention the world's gypsum supplies would probably be exhausted, a you also have a problem with disposing of the sulfuric acid you would produce.

The world's scientists have considered this type of thing before, but have concluded it is unviable. The problem won't be solved by a high school science student with a poor grasp of chemistry.

I think H2O’s talking about something like CaCO3+2NaOH=>Na2CO3+Ca(OH)2. But then you have to deal with getting the NaOH or other strong base plus you have massive amounts of Na2CO3 to get rid of. Mining the strong base AND the calcium would be even worse. In the end you should just plant some trees.

• 2 weeks later...