The Psychology of Jerks

Omeo

Just to start out, I myself am a jerk. Just so you know.

The reason I'm a jerk is because I have no social skills whatsoever. This causes me to fall back on pretty much the only standard I know- that of being a jerk.

Again, it depends really on your definition of a jerk, but regardless, there are many causes. Circumstances in life cause changes in behavior. It's a basic rule of life. Sorry if I'm repeating the point.

One thing that I find interesting to note is both cause and effect of being a jerk- a severe lack of people/interaction. I'm not saying that it's a universal thing, just that it is a noticeable pattern with jerks. Not knowing people, or being close to them, will inevitably cause one to be less sensitive to other people.

To me, the term 'jerk' comes with the assumption that the person being labelled as such intends to be that way, tries to hurt others, doesn't care about others.

If a person simply doesn't understand others, that's ignorance not 'jerkism'...for lack of a better term. :)

Phi for All and Ophiolite make the best points on this one.

I'm thinking of the kind of Jerk like the character Dr. House. Some might think House is cool and efficient for circumventing social norms and irreverance to people's feelings and so forth. Even under the blanket protection and control of writing the script and controlling the dynamics of characters this proves to be BS. A little social reverance could actually save a lot of time. He has to waste countless moments trying to repair damage by being "socially efficient" with a sobbing parent or troubled co-worker.

Anyway, I like the show House, but have been looking for an excuse to tear the character down...maybe I'm a jerk??

Maybe? What CAN be said for the jerks who watch "House"? Imp

Maybe? What CAN be said for the jerks who watch "House"? Imp

That we're secretly impressed with him...

Personally, I watch the show because he's funny and pushes people. They do a bang up job of portraying him as quick witted and quite intelligent - if he was a real person I wouldn't mind sitting around being ridiculed by him at all. It would be funny...at least for a little bit.

Wow, I revisit this thread after a while and it's changed from the Psychology of Jerks to Let's Throw ParanoiA Under the Bus. Sorry you had to defend yourself alone big guy, but you did quite well. I thought those House calls came out of left field but you had your glove up at least.

People can be such jerks! :rolleyes:

I don't know House but I remember Dabney Coleman as Buffalo Bill. What a jerk! He was so wrapped up in himself. There was a great scene from Buffalo Bill I tried to recreate in an acting seminar with the great Cliff Osmond, but I just couldn't pull it off. Bill (Coleman) shows up at his girlfriend's place (Geena Davis) and uncharacteristically hugs her and tells her how much it means to him to have someone loving he can count on in times of stress and need. He really seems to pour his heart out to her, then breaks the hug and says, "Got any nuts?" as if the last minute or so never happened. You wouldn't believe how hard it is to be that callous and uncaring, even when acting.

Phi for All and Ophiolite make the best points on this one.

Anyway, I like the show House, but have been looking for an excuse to tear the character down...maybe I'm a jerk??

Thank you for your kind remark. I'm sorry it brought down a misguided attack on you.

I thought it was obvious that your last paragraph was intended to make clear your intention was somewhat tongue in cheek. That's the marvellous thing about the English language - so easy to misinterpret!;)

So, jerks find others to be jerks?
I think my underlying thesis is that this statement should be generalised to "So, humans find others to be human."