can anyone identify this?

YT2095

well I thought along the lines of a DIY Hydrometer but there`s not enough calibrations, then I figured perhaps it`s a themometer shroud but the apature between the bulb and the opening is too small, but not narrow enough to actualy Act as a thermometer if you filled the bulb with Mercury, again it would need calibrations along there also.

a Viscosity tester looks similar BUT they`re U tubes.

I`ve also asked this question on a Purely Chem only site, I`ve had 58 Views and not a single answer in reply.

this one`s a Real toughy! :)

I already read the message on sciencemadness, and I've been thinking about that for some time, and now I think it is volumetric glassware for volatile liquids (the long neck assures that there is not much loss of liquid, due to evaporation). Such glassware allows you to measure volumes with very good precision, but you only have a few readouts.

I myself also have one such bulb, but without the long neck. I use it for measuring 20 ml of liquid at high precision.

the Stamp on it says "PSL" I looked up PSL and glassware and Phase PSL the company make Viscometers, so I`m wondering if it`s ball or Needle drop test?

or maybe fill up quickly to the 25ml line and then time how long it takes the air to pass up through that thin part until all liquid reads at the 12.5ml line?

the only Real use I can see for it at the moment is a great way to catch PPTs to make decanting much easier, of course that Does leave the problem of how to get the stuff all back Out again????

a Viscosity tester looks similar BUT they`re U tubes.
I'll bet it's something along those lines, made for a very specific application. "Fill the tube with X to the 12.5 mark, then heat at Y degrees and measure how much time it takes for it to reach the 25 mark".

If it were for more general purposes it would have more varied measurement lines.

I have used one of these!!! There was one of these sitting around at the university that I work at. I have used it like a quick and dirty reflux tube, you can boil liquids at the bottom over a Bunsen, but there will be less vapor loss due to the shape. Also, you can pretty much just hold it in your hands without any tongs because of the excess surface area. Not a clue if that is what is was intended for…

• 3 weeks later...