Ecstasy

KinG

hey guys i have a question about the 1 out of 100,000 ecstasy users die from there first time with use of the drug mdma. Now is this true and if so, how is this possible? does this include medical problems? mixing drugs? or taking with MAOIS, or other medication?

Pure MDMA by itself causing a lethal reaction has never occured within reasonable amounts taken, but it's not at all unlikely that 1 in 100,000 pills sold ectasy may contain another chemical that could be much more lethal. Dehydration and water intoxication have caused deaths, but these are easily avoidable, as are deaths resulting from impairment while driving and mixing with other substances.

• 1 month later...

Yes, most deaths associated with use of MDMA is due to dehydration, as pointed out earlier.

I also like to spread the word that nearly every major problem with the drug from a psychological point of view is due to brain damage (every major problem that isn't desired... I hate how people like to use scare words like "disorientation" and "confusion" when these are exactly the effects people are going for). Brain damage caused by MDMA appears to drop to zero when the drug is used in conjunction with SSRI's, like prozac. I hear that it doesn't reduce the high either. These results are from animal studies, but it is a good bet that popping a prozac before taking ecstacy would eliminate the brain damage problems (which is basically the only strong fact the scare programs have for the drug at the moment...that and dehydration).

BTW-

Given the possiblility of reducing or preventing brain damage (along with relatively few side effects and/or hazzards known), I would normally say that people should take Prosac- just as DanceSafe advocates. But this is certainly not true of all antidepressants.

• 2 months later...

So then why is it that extacy-induced brain damage will heal faster by males and slower or even not at all by females? Even after having used extacy only onces? I know that extacy will release massive amounts of serotonine and dopamine and prozac will prevent their reuptake, but isn't that contradictory? And what does actually damage the brain?

• 2 weeks later...

The damage has to do with the reuptake transporters on the cell. Serrotonin becomes depleated which leaves the trasporters open to certain types of toxins that get in and damage the cells. The SSRI's block the transporters, preventing the damage.