EIS - Epidemic Intelligence Service

Helix

Hey everyone,

I read a book a little while back called Beating back the Devil (http://www.beatingbackthedevil.com/) about the rapid-response section of the CDC, the EIS. They are the first ones to the site of an epidemic or health crisis and are even deployed into conflict regions for long-term help. They gather info on emerging crisises and create plans for how the brunt of the gov't should respond. Their goal is to figure out what the hell's going on in a problem area -- like SARS Asia or Avian Flu Turkey -- and handle the problem the best they can. The EIS coordinates the efforts of the WHO, CDC and local governments to contain and neutralize health threats. They deploy all over the world, often at a moment's notice. The EIS is comprised of doctors, health professionals and even government agents.

It's a facinating agency -- the CIA meets the NIH. I was wondering if anyone had any more information on it, or other health emergencies they've been involved in?

Helix

• 3 weeks later...

hi there,

the EIS is a 2 year fellowship through CDC where you have to have a MD, or DDS, DVM, or a MPH with a PA or BSN. You can find out all you need to know on the CDC website under the 'Training and Education' field. It looks like an amazing experience. Unfortunelty for me, I don't have the clinical degree to apply, but if you don't either and it sounds interesting, CDC has other fellowships with lots of different qualifications. Happy hunting!