HELP...Stem Cell Research Debate

hatemail13

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like this is homework help ... :-(

But anyway, if you're against stem cells being used you should probably try and go after how they are harvested. Most - if not all - opponents of SC's oppose them in part because they are harvested from embryos. They view this as immoral. However, there are alternate ways of acquiring stem cells - in bone marrow for example, but these SC's are fairly limited in their uses.

So, yeah, do some some more research and try to find out more about the sources of SC's. Opponents normally go after that.

The only real argument against stem cell research is that they are harvested from human embryos, every thing else about stem cell research is positive.

If you like South Park, episode 513 is about stem cell research so it may benifit you to watch that.

Sorry to troll, but I'd switch sides.

You will be in a position to explain how you refuse to save ten lives in the name of belief/misconception/whatever of a single (dead) person.

Also, you might want to keep up with technology:

* 2005 - Researchers at Kingston University in England claim to have discovered a third category of stem cell, dubbed cord-blood-derived embryoniclike stem cells (CBEs), derived from umbilical cord blood. The group claims these cells are able to differentiate into more types of tissue than adult stem cells.[wiki]

* 07 January, 2007 - Scientists at Wake Forest University led by Dr. Anthony Atala and Harvard University report discovery of a new type of stem cell in amniotic fluid.[1] This may potentially provide an alternative to embryonic stem cells for use in research and therapy.[Wiki]

Wiki sources have links.

• 1 year later...

hello, i am researching how the hematopoietic stem cells found in umbilical cord blood differentiate, i understand the replication side of things but would appreciate it if someone would give me a practical example of how the internal (genes in DNA)and external(chemicals excreted from cells within microenvironment) factors contribute to differentiation in any instance. If someone could do an example with liver or bone marrow it would be exceelent

To be fair there really aren't any good scientific arguments against it, there are ethical ones, but I wouldn't really call them good ones.

You could go with the whole idea of cost as well as them having to be specific to each patient but then again for complex conditions specific treatments maybe the only way to go and will be the most effective and a higher percentage of cases.