(Resolved) Motherboard wont turn on

igor_9000

I picked up an old Dell computer for free. The copyright on the mother board says 1998 so that gives you some idea of how old it is. Its got everything it needs to run, minus the case, so I figure I'll just make a case and give it to my sister for her to use.

Everything goes well, case gets built and everything fits no problem. But I want to make custom power/reset buttons for it. The original Dell power/reset buttons are on a circuit board thats attached to the mobo via a small ribbon cable. (I'll try and get a picture of it tomorrow) Anyway, I take a switch from Radio Shack and I attach it to the two pins on the mobo that I believe to be for the power switch. Then I hook up a power cable and throw the switch, computer boots fine for 5 seconds, then shuts off.... try it again... boots for about 2 seconds... shuts off... I try the original Dell configuration and it boots fine. So any idea why it does that? Any help at all is appreciated. Let me know if you need more info.

ok so now i just read your entire post and realised that my post would be of no help whatsoever............

If i were you, id just use the same ole pushbuttons that came with the computer =\

But now, editing for a second time, i've reread your post, and i seem to realise something new each time!! :eek:

So heneway, is the switch ya picked up from the shack a toggle switch or pushbutton switch? Cuz if its a toggle, your computer will shut down after 5 seconds, the mobo is designed to start up the computer if it is off and the power button is pushed and released, but if its held for 5 seconds (might be 6), it shuts down the computer. So, if its a toggle, it will be interpreting the constant closed switch as you holding the power button to shut it down, as opposed to just tapping it to turn it on. Try just flipping the switch for a moment then shutting it off.