Do Conservatives Want Prostitution or Not?

ku

Conservatism advocates traditional values and free market. If a conservative is for prostitution he is against traditional values, yet if he is against prostitution he is against the free market. So is a conservative for prostitution or not?

Conservatism advocates traditional values and free market. If a conservative is for prostitution he is against traditional values, yet if he is against prostitution he is against the free market. So is a conservative for prostitution or not?

Most Libertarians (i.e. capital-L, of the conservative variety) would condone prostitution as a consentual act between two people.

As a liberaltarian, I'd at least insist on some sort of government regulation, if only to prevent the spread of disease.

Personally, I believe that most prostitutes have better morals than most of those on Capitol hill.

Sweet...nailed it. At least the prostitutes make their money honestly.

Actually, I'm also a libertarian, which is really just being a conservative without being a christian, nor a hypocrite. And as long as the morality police are empowered by the people of this country, year after year, we will never have legalized prostitution.

(..damnit...)

"Conservative" is a very broad group. Obviously, it's very possible that a good portion of the "traditional values" types are not the same as the "free market" types, even if we lump them all under the heading "conservative."

You can see the same with liberals. We generally associate wanting legalized prostitution with liberals, but there are some liberal feminists that think prostitution is degrading and abusive to women. They're both "liberals," just not the same particular liberals.

The case could be made that conservatism in the sense of the OP is not actually for free markets, per se, but for the unity of money and power. This has many similar effects, with some important differences, of which this sort of thing is one.

• 2 weeks later...
Who cares if she has an orgasm? I don't think that's what they're paying for...although roleplay, I guess, would be part of the deal, but that wouldn't make it dishonest.

It was a joke man. But I can't imagine that prostitutes are the most honest of people. Do you think you're going to get an honest answer to a question like "Do you have herpes?"

It was a joke man. But I can't imagine that prostitutes are the most honest of people. Do you think you're going to get an honest answer to a question like "Do you have herpes?"

No more dishonest than the answer I'm going to get from Joe Blow politician when asked "Did you come by this campaign money legally?"

No more dishonest than the answer I'm going to get from Joe Blow politician when asked "Did you come by this campaign money legally?"

I'm not sure about that. With politicians, you have laws, and a well-organized opposition party gleeful at the chance to bring them down. But it's not illegal to fake an orgasm or to have herpes, and anyway, in places where prositution is illegal (that is, most places), who's going to turn one in?