Out of Control Science

Guest jstfrths

Guest jstfrths

Before the first atomic bomb was tested in the New Mexico desert on July 16, 1945, some of the scientists working on the bomb thought there was a three-in-one-million chance that an atomic bomb might melt down the entire earth. They went ahead and tested that first atomic bomb. - from http://www.intellectual-playground.com

How much out of control experimentation is going on today?

Have fun pondering!

- Jeff

Before the first atomic bomb was tested in the New Mexico desert on July 16, 1945, some of the scientists working on the bomb thought there was a three-in-one-million chance that an atomic bomb might melt down the entire earth. They went ahead and tested that first atomic bomb. - from http://www.intellectual-playground.com

Have fun pondering!

- Jeff

those odds are a few thousand times better then a solar event will happen this year to wipe us out.

the neutron bomb or at least theory considered that possibility.

nanotech, has many on going experiments with catastrophic possibilities, but i have no idea what limits are place on them. self reproduction from any matter the villain.

Have fun pondering!- Jeff

The most dangerous one to me would be a biological weapon that we lose control of. I would bet that somewhere their working on something scary.

Bettina

I agree, bio-engineered life is more deadly but *it is containable*. You can do all experiments behind several filters, sealed doors, heck, you can instantly burn everything if needed be.

However, other experiments depend on prone-to-failure magnetic fields - that's more dangerous IMO.

well, there is a chance that a particle accelerator will cause space time to drop to a lower energy level creating a self fueling shockwave that might possible move faster than the speed of light and destroy not only the entire world but the entire universe.

although, they estimate the chances of a solar mass blackhole spontaneously appearing in your porridge tomorrow is a few thousand times more likely.

I agree, bio-engineered life is more deadly but *it is containable*. You can do all experiments behind several filters, sealed doors, heck, you can instantly burn everything if needed be.

But all those safeguards are designed by humans, who are fallible. Hence the safeguards contain flaws.

To be honest, when I hear the words "Don't worry, nothing can go wrong." I start looking for the nearest exit.

However, other experiments depend on prone-to-failure magnetic fields - that's more dangerous IMO.

Filters and seals fail, and nothing burns instantly. And you've discounted the disgruntled employee who does something on purpose.

Oh yeah and what experiments are those pray tell?

think they refer to it as "Green or Blue Goo". this involves some thing that can reproduce its own kind from any material. the problem in testing, would be where to test since this has not known method to stop, if it indeed did work.

think they refer to it as "Green or Blue Goo". this involves some thing that can reproduce its own kind from any material. the problem in testing, would be where to test since this has not known method to stop, if it indeed did work.

You know that this stuff is 100% in the relm of science fiction and isn't actually going on?

Nanotech is have trouble making things like hinges or a single spinning wheel never the less a robots completely able to reproduce themselves. Heck we can't even make a life sized one able to do that.

You know that this stuff is 100% in the relm of science fiction and isn't actually going on?

Nanotech is have trouble making things like hinges or a single spinning wheel never the less a robots completely able to reproduce themselves. Heck we can't even make a life sized one able to do that.

The technical term is a von-neumann machine.

[...]they estimate the chances of a solar mass blackhole spontaneously appearing in your porridge tomorrow is a few thousand times more likely.

I understand they don't really understand the dynamics of a black hole completely, so how can you compute such a chance? They could be off by a lot.

But all those safeguards are designed by humans, who are fallible. Hence the safeguards contain flaws.

Indeed nothing is safe but you can make redundant controls for friggin ever. I know a lock can be picked, but if you have 1000 doors and 1000 locks with guards you have more than enough time to shoot the thief. Add more guards and it becomes as close to impossible as possible :) .

Filters and seals fail, and nothing burns instantly. And you've discounted the disgruntled employee who does something on purpose.

That's why you build several filters in sequence, so you have enough time to incinerate everything. A bio lab with the hazard can be rather small, like a big room which you can then encase in protective layers, like several rooms enclosing the previous, in concrete, with several bio-filters.

The chance of all 10 filters malfunctioning and nobody noticing is quite low. You don't have to go to zero, just a very low number. With safety guards in place I believe we have a better chance of spontaneously combusting.

What I'm saying is - bio filters are a lot more resilient and a heck of a lot cheaper and smaller than a magnetic containment field - thus the chance of having several fail-safes is quite high. I understand that magnetic containment have power backups but nothing resembling secondary coils so a bad wire can set it off. Because the field needs to be strong you can't build a secondary layer 2 meters away; plus, the effect is instantaneous and global. You can build a sealed door though - for bio containment.

Also, when working with the deadliest agents in the world, there is no such thing as disgruntled employees. They are called residents. Because they don't leave home each evening. I suppose. Hope.

Indeed nothing is safe but you can make redundant controls for friggin ever. I know a lock can be picked, but if you have 1000 doors and 1000 locks with guards you have more than enough time to shoot the thief. Add more guards and it becomes as close to impossible as possible :) .

Right. And yet we have the occasional spy case where we find a whole bunch of top-secret material has been turned over to the enemy, despite all of the safeguards.

the "grey goo" scenario is way off

Actually I take that back it's already begun!!

It's started taking the potatoes under my kitchen counter. At the rate it's doubling we'll likely loose the east coast in about a month....

On a more serious point I'm pretty sure before we can makes something like that from scratch we'll figure out that it'd have to be just about as complicated as a living cell and we'll already be manipulating those to do the same thing...

Right. And yet we have the occasional spy case where we find a whole bunch of top-secret material has been turned over to the enemy, despite all of the safeguards.

So you basically disagree that for all intents and purposes a bio lab can be made safe enough that we can sleep soundly at night knowing we are on far more danger from something else than the biohazard?

Note I'm considering a military/government/international bio lab, not your average large-glass, tour-ready pharmaceutical lab.

Actually I take that back it's already begun!!

It's started taking the potatoes under my kitchen counter. At the rate it's doubling we'll likely loose the east coast in about a month....

On a more serious point I'm pretty sure before we can makes something like that from scratch we'll figure out that it'd have to be just about as complicated as a living cell and we'll already be manipulating those to do the same thing...

Yeah, there are already millions of species on the earth that already replicate themselves, and yes, they are too small to see with the naked eye. Why would a metallic version be scarier?

So you basically disagree that for all intents and purposes a bio lab can be made safe enough that we can sleep soundly at night knowing we are on far more danger from something else than the biohazard?

Note I'm considering a military/government/international bio lab, not your average large-glass, tour-ready pharmaceutical lab.

No, you should not assume that. "Sleep soundly at night knowing we are on far more danger from something else" and "as close to impossible as possible" are not even close to being the same thing.

Yeah, there are already millions of species on the earth that already replicate themselves, and yes, they are too small to see with the naked eye. Why would a metallic version be scarier?

the grey goo scenario describes nano tech that can self replicate from anything, rocks, air, water, not just existing biological material. it basically suggests that the entire planet will eventually turn completely into a great big blob of unintelligent grey goo.

the grey goo scenario describes nano tech that can self replicate from anything, rocks, air, water, not just existing biological material. it basically suggests that the entire planet will eventually turn completely into a great big blob of unintelligent grey goo.

Which is science fiction at this point.