Snake vs. bunny

bascule

Hey, that just made me think of how evolution works. Even though snakes aren't built to climb trees, they could do it if they had to (like if the world was suddenly populated by vicious warrior bunnies :D ). Then, eventually, snakes would evolve who are excellent tree climbers. Something similar happened with humans, didn't it? When we left the jungles of Africa for the grass lands, we hand to stand on our hind legs even though we weren't built for it....

Anyway, it just made me think of this. :P

Hey, that just made me think of how evolution works. Even though snakes aren't built to climb trees, they could do it if they had to (like if the world was suddenly populated by vicious warrior bunnies :D ). Then, eventually, snakes would evolve who are excellent tree climbers. Something similar happened with humans, didn't it? When we left the jungles of Africa for the grass lands, we hand to stand on our hind legs even though we weren't built for it....

Anyway, it just made me think of this. :P

Actually I'm pretty sure that because of their ability to wrap around limbs most snakes are excellent tree climbers. Well assuming they're long enough to wrap around a limb a few times.

Though I maybe wrong. But they're always in trees in the cartoons!!!

I Hate Snakes. **** those things give me heebiejeebies. And what the hell, u couldnt find a more menacing, demonic looking picture of a snake than one coiled up in its mass of malevolence and evil? Yeah i probably couldnt either. Kudos.

Actually snakes climbing is what I'm doing my thesis on, and it's a really exciting area, since nobody else has done squat on it. It seems that most species can climb pretty well, and many are very good. Specializations of the body, scales, and musculature have convergently evolved in multiple lineages.

Plus, their climbing is interesting for a special reason: like primates and racoons, their grips are friction-based (rather than using claws or adhesion). Friction-based grips depend upon the arc of the perch over which the animal can apply force. For a given diameter, primates have a given maximum force (defined by muscles and hand-span) and a given number of grips (4 hands/feet). However, snakes can strengthen their grip by encircling more of the perch with their bodies, but in doing so, they use up body that could be used for more grips. So they have a tradeoff between number of grips and strength of grips, while limbed animals with frictional grips do not.

Mokele