Old vs New monitor cables

HeXeN

Hoya

My computer science teacher just gave me a moderately old mac powerPC, but she kept the monitor that went with it, and gave me a different one. Here is the thing: the monitor jack on the....well its not a tower, its one of those horizontal ones....whaddaya call those? eh, the Computer part....is an older monitor port, it has the 15 pins but in two rows, and the monitor i have has 15 pins put in....i think 4 rows, might be three, but its the new kind. So anyways, i'm wondering if all the pins are just the same and aranged differently and i can sorta rig it to work, or do i need to buy a special adapter that corrects for any greater issues?

By the way, it has OS 8.2 (if i remember correctly), and it has photoshop and one of those cool little graphics pads, the ones you draw on. And i got it all for FREE!! :P

I think you`ll have to put in a new GFX card (it would be cheaper and less messing).

it sounds like the monitor`s VGA and your card maybe CGA, a little 2 meg VGA card will eliminate that problem for a few pennies (some people may just give them away). the pins are not the same and rearanging them wouldn`t be worth it as the scan freq is different also.

the desktop or head unit is what I usualy refer to those style of cases as, or just call it a fancy monitor stand that does stuff :)

Well the computer science teacher wasnt here today >(, but what im hoping to do is trade the monitor i have for the one that goes with the computer she gave me, because they need a monitor that is like mine, and i need one like theirs, but i dunno if htey will be willing to trade because the one they have is like a 21 incher =)

Do you know what model of mac it is?

The connector you describe sounds like a DB15 port. The signal given by the mac should work on a PC monitor, and your best bet is to get a DB15 to VGA adapter, there are a few on ebay relatively cheaply: -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2778036538&category=25436

That one is $3 at the minute. Once you have one of them, you can use a regular VGA cable.