I get brain glitches

I get brain glitches every now and then and I'm wondering how many other people get the same thing.

What I mean by "brain glitch" is a temporary mixing up of information or memories.

For example, the other day, I went out to get "An Inconvenient Truth". They didn't have it in stock so I got "World Trade Centers" instead. I brought it home and my wife and I snuggled up to watch the movie. One of the previews was for "An Inconvenient Truth". I said "Now why would they advertize for a movie that we already got?" And my wife said "But we didn't get this." Then I remembered that we didn't get "An Inconvenient Truth" - I wanted to, but they were out. "Oh yeah" I said as she laughed at me and I laughed at myself.

Here's another example:

Today, I was going out to get a movie and I wanted to stop by the library to drop off some CDs I borrowed. My wife tells me "The library isn't open on Friday evenings." "Oh, okay" I said. So I head out the door grabbing the CDs on the way. Now this time, I didn't forget that I couldn't drop the CDs off, I just had it in my head that before I went out the door, I needed to grab the CDs. This is another sort of "brain glitch" I get. It's not based on forgetting, it's based on not clueing in that what I'm doing on at the moment doesn't need to be done anymore if the long-term goal has changed or has been dropped. For example, this has happened a few times at work (I forget the details). I'd be working on a task that needs to be done for an even bigger task. I get told that the bigger task has been dropped, I acknowledge, but then keep on working on the smaller task - for some reason, I don't clue in that if we're not doing the bigger task anymore, the smaller task doesn't need to be done either.

Does this happen to other people?

Yeah It happens to me all the time. Usually when I'm doing slight variations on things I do regularly.

Like I'll goto the computer to pull-up a file or website. But I'll start by checking my e-mail and news headlines, and then I'll get up to go do somethign else. But a split second later I'll realise what happened and go back and do it right.

I also mean to check what time it is, so I pull out my cell phone and look at it. But I don't read the time, and put it back in my pocket. Then I realise I didn't really check the time so I do it properly.

So it's not just me.

Oh, I forgot to mention - supposedly, I have ADD. That's one of the things I wanted to ask about - does anybody else here have ADD and do you experience things like this?

You know, I can remember the exact sequence of how to put a GI-Joe toy together 20 years ago but I can't remember the name of a person I met 30 seconds ago. I wouldn't worry about it too much; it's all about how you're wired and how much your paying attention at the time. JMO...I'm no expert.

So it's not just me.

Oh, I forgot to mention - supposedly, I have ADD. That's one of the things I wanted to ask about - does anybody else here have ADD and do you experience things like this?

Yeah I probabley have ADD too. I have this serious problem where someone is trying to talk to me but I'm thinking about something and I can't make myself pay attention to them.

It really sucks when we have confrences cuz someone will talk about their work, and something will trigger an idea in my head. My mind will go off thinking about some crazy train of thought. And then I'll realise my supervisor has been talking to me for the past couple minutes, and I have no idea what he said. So I just nod and smile till he stops...

ditto, in fact I shout at ppl eventualy that Don`t take the hint that I`M BUSY THINKING! leave me alone!

when I have my "Work head" on, all the rest of the universe can go take a hike, I`m Very anti-social in that way.

It really all goes to show how little control over our daily actions the conscious part of our mind has. It's almost as if all it does it chose between a list of A,B,C,D etc.... actions for the subconscious to do and then goes sits in a dark room to think about something else with it's fingers crossed that everything goes according to plan.

that`s not a Bad description actualy.

I tend to find that interaction with others in everyday life is purely Auto-Pilot, often including responses, occasionaly they don`t Mesh with reality, or "sink in".

so your wife may say "your car is on fire", and you reply "yes dear I put it in the fridge"...

or Hi my name`s Joe, you say Nice to meet you, shake hands, and when he walks off you ask you mate what his name was?

on a computer you get a number that shows CPU Usage, I think we should all have on our foreheads!

if it`s above 75% leave the guy alone! :)

on a computer you get a number that shows CPU Usage, I think we should all have on our foreheads!

if it`s above 75% leave the guy alone! :)

HAHA! If they try talking to you, have a message pop up saying "This person is not responding".

Error this person is not responding

Abort, Retry, Wallop. :D

The big one for me is walking, say I normally walk to the supermarket, but today I've decided to go to the park. I'll start thinking deeply about something and suddenly I realise I've stopped walking and I'm infront of the supermarket.

Yep I have built in autopilot :D

husmusen

Autopilot is fine but it sometimes malfunctions.

A few years ago, I used to go to school every morning. On a Saturday, I woke up around 8 o'clock (same time with school) and went for some bread. Started thinking about stuff and the next think I knew i was in front of my school. I thought "WTH?". Same trip, every morning, same hour, same weather, same everything, the autopilot did what it did best - took me to school. Only thing was, school was some 3 km away, bread was ~70m.

Some things work just fine on auto, some don't, see married people blindness or whatever it's called. When you live in the same area for very long you see things in various orders until you've basically "seen'em'all'. This prevents you from finding things in plain view because the brain shilds them away as "supposed to be there".

At other times I search by picturing the target and looking for matches (such as being sure I left my mobile phone facing down as I usually do - yet I didn't). Because I'm looking for that image I pass over the phone repeatedly and sometimes endlessly until I decide to pause and search actively (scanning each object). It's funny afterwards when I think of the little men in my head chatting while I'm searching:

- There it is! The phone!

- No, you idiot, we're looking for THIS (shows the picture of the object facing down)

- Awwwwww....

(after finding it)

- Idiot (Guy 1 smacks the guy with the picture behind the head)