how do i make ethanol gel

bekithemba

i want to start making ethanol on a small scale and was wondering how to get it to gel.

HELLO,

I have already been in touch with different sites , however, am still having the problem of making the gel on the small scale for dometic use, using the much excess ethanol produce in uganda, the problem is finding the appropriate gelling (thickening).agent .

I look foward for your attention.

thank you.

Dean.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have done this a couple of times, just for fun.

The first time I used crushed eggshell soaked in cleaning vinegar for a couple of weeks, filtered the solution and evaporated it to get the calcium acetate solution. Then I added that to ethanol until it gelled. I think the proportions Invader_Gir posted are correct. I just added enough to the alcohol until it turned into a gel. The second time I reacted pure calcium carbonate with the vinegar to make the acetate. Both times it worked well. And it burnt just as good as the commercial product. Although the eggshell method gave off a bit different smell due to impurities.

• 2 weeks later...

i am actually interested in the production of ethanol for home use too but have not really been able to produce any due to the fact that i hear that a gelling agent is required to temper the volatility, i hear any cellulosic material could be used.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I would also like to know how to make ethanol gel. I have the ethanol, and I have lots of cacti, but I'm not sure how to get the cellulose out of the cacti. Some help/ advise would be greatly appreciated!! :confused:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

which gelling agent is most effective in the case

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

Many gelling agents such CMC , HEC and highly branched organic celluloses are available in market.you need not go for tedious process of breaking eggs!!!

• 3 months later...