Major computer issues...hanging and the likes

LazerFazer

Hi all,

I've recently been having some major issues with my computer. At (mostly) random times, the blasted machine just hangs. Unfortunately i haven't been able to pinpoint what exactly is the cause. I've narrowed it down to overheating, power supply issues, or just general hardware failure. The thing is, it happens at random intervals, and also at random stages of use. One time it'll hang during the POST, the next time after half an hour of gaming, another time while booting windows, and yet another time while just doing casual work (non intensive, like web design or something like that). Thing is, i recently had to downgrade my graphics card due to hardware failure, and now i'm using a passively cooled GeForce 2 mx. That was about 4 months ago, and the hanging issue only started about 2 weeks ago. As i look it it, my 3.3v line is pumping between 3.07 and 3.15 volts, the 5v line pumping 5.05v, and the +12v line pumping around 12.32v. This all according to msi CoreCenter. Any help in pinpointing the problem would be appreciated.

Thanks.

The 3.3 is a bit low, it affects the CPU stability. For the cheap dirty solution, try to underpower/overpower the CPU slightly, check for modifications. If it becomes stable/unstable, try to get the best setting that doesn't fry the CPU. If it fries, I was never here, this post does not exist. :P Higher voltages tend to heat the CPU but increase stability.

The Good Way is to get another PSU from some other computer and swap (no mount, just plug everything and power). Check to see if it works OK. You can also go for an UPS that levels the spikes in the power grid.

Also check the cooling on a regular basis (from Windows) and leave it open so you can see what the monitor says when the PC hangs. Pay special attention to case and CPU temperature. Alternately, try to copy from CD to HDD AND from HDD to HDD at the same time for a few minutes (load both CD/DVD and HDD to the peak consumption). If it hangs, it's a power supply issue and the drives drain the PSU when Windows is swapping.

Let us know how it works out.

Hmmm... The using a seperate psu might be a bit of a problem. I don't have any spare psu's available here, the only one i do have is for my brother's computer. Since mine is a prescot, i doubt his will work in mine...not enough juice, so to speak.