Woodward's Embargoed Ford Interview

Pangloss

Bob Woodward interviewed Gerald Ford back in 2004, but Ford asked him not to publish the interview until after his death. The interview was published today in the Washington Post, and may be found here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/27/AR2006122701558.html

The most notable comment (and presumably the reason Ford asked him to wait) is Ford's position on Iraq.

In a four-hour conversation at his house in Beaver Creek, Colo., Ford "very strongly" disagreed with the current president's justifications for invading Iraq and said he would have pushed alternatives, such as sanctions, much more vigorously. In the tape-recorded interview, Ford was critical not only of Bush but also of Vice President Cheney -- Ford's White House chief of staff -- and then-Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld, who served as Ford's chief of staff and then his Pentagon chief.

"Rumsfeld and Cheney and the president made a big mistake in justifying going into the war in Iraq. They put the emphasis on weapons of mass destruction," Ford said. "And now, I've never publicly said I thought they made a mistake, but I felt very strongly it was an error in how they should justify what they were going to do."

This may sound like obvious hindsight, but remember -- Ford wasn't running for anything when he said this. He has no political axe to grind here. And he made these comments in 2004, when things were not nearly so bleak.

The interview is also interesting, talking about removing Rockefeller from the ticket and so forth. Those of us who've been around long enough to remember those days will find it interesting, anyway. That's a bit far back even for me, but it's always interesting to see what former presidents think about specific political matters many years after they've left office. Whatever you thought about them while they were in office, they are certainly key witnesses to history.

Ford was probably the most reasonably minded President in the last forty years. It is amazing that what is considered some of his best decisions in retrospect were so heavily criticized by all at the time. Too bad other subsequent Presidents didn't follow more in Ford's footsteps of civility and decency.

I did find his comments about the Iraq war very interesting and I wonder if he spoke more on this subject in the interviews.

Ford was probably the most reasonably minded President in the last forty years. It is amazing that what is considered some of his best decisions in retrospect were so heavily criticized by all at the time.

Yeah, imagine that...Bush could be hailed in the future as a man who stood tall in the face of heavy criticism - a man who did the right thing in retrospect.

I think it's funny how we can notice this about Ford and other presidents, but not at least consider for a moment that we're doing it right now...

Yeah, imagine that...Bush could be hailed in the future as a man who stood tall in the face of heavy criticism - a man who did the right thing in retrospect.

I think it's funny how we can notice this about Ford and other presidents, but not at least consider for a moment that we're doing it right now...

Only history will tell, but Ford's actions allowed this country to come together and quickly heal from a tragic political event. Bush's actions have fractured this country and have helped turn up the shrill of partisanship (in and out of Congress) that reasonable voices (like Ford's) can not be heard. We almost need another President like Ford to bring this country back together from the events of the past six years.

Only history will tell, but Ford's actions allowed this country to come together and quickly heal from a tragic political event. Bush's actions have fractured this country and have helped turn up the shrill of partisanship (in and out of Congress) that reasonable voices (like Ford's) can not be heard. We almost need another President like Ford to bring this country back together from the events of the past six years.

Well that just depends on which side you're on doesn't it? If you believe that Bush was right in invading Iraq, then it's the country who has fractured itself foolishly - the proverbial "criticized by all". If you believe Bush was in the wrong, then yes, he has certainly divided the country and the consequences that follow.

I just have to recognize my own tendency to repeat history. When I read stories like this, I look around and see the same kinds of things going on. And the people actually writing the damn story are the same players in this historical repetition.

This is why I find it hard to take solid stances on issues like Iraq. It's easy to get all high and mighty and curse GWB - particularly when it's popular. But the truth is, there are too many dynamics for anyone to be that sure of anything really. Someone has to make a decision. The rest of us can change our minds down the line, or sit on the fence until things pan out - then suddenly we've got an opinion on everything and everybody involved is an idiot. That's chickenshit where I come from.

The only point I'm really trying to make is that perhaps it's a good idea to think about how dynamic everything really is and how it might be seen differently, more accurately in the future, when the dust settles. Maybe GWB isn't quite the fool everyone wants him to be. Apparently Ford wasn't...

Well that just depends on which side you're on doesn't it? If you believe that Bush was right in invading Iraq, then it's the country who has fractured itself foolishly - the proverbial "criticized by all".

I didn't even mention Iraq and I intentionally picked six year instead of three years. There is a lot more to the shrill voice of politics and the divide in our country than just the Iraq war.

I didn't even mention Iraq and I intentionally picked six year instead of three years. There is a lot more to the shrill voice of politics and the divide in our country than just the Iraq war.

I know. I mentioned Iraq because I believe it's the most divisive issue. Everything else is more typical politics as usual. Just my opinion. Whatever the case, I just think we shouldn't assume such stubborn positions on international politics and war, when the dynamics are such that we know it will be judged differently in hindsight.

Exactly, presidents like Ford and Reagan were hated up until they died. Then they were called heroes and everybody loved them. It's sad that this will probly happen to Bush as well.

Exactly, presidents like Ford and Reagan were hated up until they died. Then they were called heroes and everybody loved them. It's sad that this will probly happen to Bush as well.

Nonsense. Ford is one of only four presidents whose disapproval rating never topped 50% (source). (The others being Kennedy, Eisenhower and FDR.) He certainly wasn't LOVED, carrying one of the lowest overall approval ratings of any presidency (source). But it's a HUGE stretch to say he was "hated". Ignored, seen as a tool, dismissed as irrelevent, perhaps. But not hated.

Reagan certainly had his bad spells, but he frequently enjoyed very high approval ratings and was much admired and praised during his tenure.

Certainly there were people who hated both of these men, but that is not the implication of your statement. Know who else was hated as president? All of them. But not one of them was hated by everybody.

So no, the idea that Reagan and Ford were hated by all and are now loved by all is ridiculous. These overblown posthumous celebrations are being manufactured out of whole cloth by a story-starved news media. There is nothing more to it than that, and they are never more transparent then they are right now.

By the way, you think it's bad now, just wait until ol' Jimmy croaks. Now THERE was a man who was hated while in office. But he'll be absolutely deified, just you wait and see.

I really don't think it's that big of a change. People worshipped/reviled Reagan when he was alive, and they still do, now. I guess they don't care as much, because it's in the past, and what people think of him can't do any harm. Not different, mind you, just more apathetic. But just as much as that is the gradual shift in public opinion that all historical figues undergo as cultural values change and different events come into the spotlight.

Actually the White House tried that line, the whole "revisionist history" bit

It was their way of saying "Yes, in 20/20 hindsight we f*cked up, but we had everyone on board at the time! And now some 'revisionist historians' are trying to say otherwise!"

Nonsense. Ford is one of only four presidents whose disapproval rating never topped 50% (source). (The others being Kennedy, Eisenhower and FDR.) He certainly wasn't LOVED, carrying one of the lowest overall approval ratings of any presidency (source). But it's a HUGE stretch to say he was "hated". Ignored, seen as a tool, dismissed as irrelevent, perhaps. But not hated.

Spot on assessment. Considering what Ford had to start with and how he became President it is absolutely amazing that his disapproval rating never topped 50%. By all rights he should have been one of the most unpopular presidents especially given his pardon to Nixon. To me this really does reflect just how decent a person he was.

Reagan certainly had his bad spells, but he frequently enjoyed very high approval ratings and was much admired and praised during his tenure.

Although I think he was the best public speaker of recent presidents, I've never really understood his popularity.

Certainly there were people who hated both of these men, but that is not the implication of your statement. Know who else was hated as president? All of them. But not one of them was hated by everybody.

So no, the idea that Reagan and Ford were hated by all and are now loved by all is ridiculous.

Absolutely. There are still people who hate both presidents. This is probably true for all presidents while there are people alive who remember them.

These overblown posthumous celebrations are being manufactured out of whole cloth by a story-starved news media. There is nothing more to it than that, and they are never more transparent then they are right now.

I'll disagree. These are times to honor and remember a former president and to remember a very important thing that makes our country so great. That is that power is always peacefully transfered and that regardless of the political background of the President we recognize the good in the man.

By the way, you think it's bad now, just wait until ol' Jimmy croaks. Now THERE was a man who was hated while in office. But he'll be absolutely deified, just you wait and see.

While his presidency had its fair share of short comings, I have always believed that Carter has been unfairly vilified by those on the right.

The Washington Post has an interesting article scorning the lack of attendance by politicians to the ceremonies for President Ford last night:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/30/AR2006123001166.html

Funny thing is, I was thinking the same thing. I was very disappointed that certain key people (from both sides) did not make time to attend. In particular President Bush and the incoming House leadership owed him a little more respect. For crying out loud Ford was a part of the House of Representatives for so long. They could have shown their own a little more respect. I also question Rumsfeld's no show excuse.

I'll disagree. These are times to honor and remember a former president and to remember a very important thing that makes our country so great. That is that power is always peacefully transfered and that regardless of the political background of the President we recognize the good in the man.

You have a point there.

While his presidency had its fair share of short comings, I have always believed that Carter has been unfairly vilified by those on the right.

I've never been able to make up my mind about Carter. It may be because his presidency occurs so early in my life. I was 15 in 1980, and actually participated in a high school debate on Carter's side, and got my you-know-what handed to me by little Laura _____ (name withheld since it's a public board). The highlight of my finely honed, elite debating skillz being something along the lines of "well he's only had four years!!!!" (grin) (Hey, maybe I've been trying to make up for that loss ever since!) (rofl)

Good to see you back on the boards, btw. Thanks for the article about low attendance -- I hadn't heard about that, and thought it was interesting.

I've never been able to make up my mind about Carter.

I can't make my mind up about his presidency because I question how much it was led by events beyond his control. I often wonder if Carter or anyone else would have faired any better.

In regards to Carter the man, I highly respect him. I think he is a man of high integrity who has done so much good in this world. If there were more people who followed his post presidency example this world would be a much better place.

Good to see you back on the boards, btw.

Thanks, I sometimes bounce from forum to forum and then back again as things interest me.

Thanks for the article about low attendance -- I hadn't heard about that, and thought it was interesting.

I had heard various comments about Rumsfeld and Bush being a no show and I wanted to see what was up with that. I find it distressing that Bush thought a vacation was more important.

Interesting that Ford said he pardoned Nixon because was a friend and he didn't want him to be stigmatised, a little less noble than the healing argument.

I found this to be an interesting angle to the issue, but I do not believe that it was the primary motivation. Keep in mind that I do think that Nixon was guilty and that he brought tremendous shame onto the presidency.

While watching the ceremonies yesterday I heard one reporter comment that he had been very critical of the pardon, until one evening when former President Ford had invited this reporter into his home some years later and they "war gamed" that decision for a number of hours. This reporter (I think it was on CNN but maybe ABC) said after that evening he was convinced that Ford really had done what was necessary.

The anger surrounding the pardon (my mother is still upset by it) is that people think Nixon was let off the hook. The fact is that while he might never have served jail time, Nixon was never truly let off the hook and Watergate and the pardon were a dark cloud that shadowed Nixon for the rest of his life. These will also color his legacy for all times. Maybe in the end those who are still angry over the pardon really wanted political revenge not justice.

Interesting that Ford said he pardoned Nixon because was a friend and he didn't want him to be stigmatised, a little less noble than the healing argument.

I don't think that's an accurate statement. I got the impression that friendship was a factor, but if it had been the only factor then he wouldn't have gotten a pardon, he would have gotten leg irons. Ford was mislead and dealt a raw hand, and he knew it full well.

He pardoned Nixon because he "wanted it off his desk" (his exact words).

Ford was mislead and dealt a raw hand, and he knew it full well.
I would challenge anyone to try to play Ford's raw hand any better. All things considered he did very well with the hand he was dealt.

He pardoned Nixon because he "wanted it off his desk" (his exact words).

Exactly.

I was refering to, "I looked upon him as my personal friend. And I always treasured our relationship. And I had no hesitancy about granting the pardon, because I felt that we had this relationship and that I didn't want to see my real friend have the stigma." He's given other reasons though too, but he's not exactly mincing his words there.

I was refering to, "I looked upon him as my personal friend. And I always treasured our relationship. And I had no hesitancy about granting the pardon, because I felt that we had this relationship and that I didn't want to see my real friend have the stigma." He's given other reasons though too, but he's not exactly mincing his words there.

That was one of the things about him, he really didn't mince words like so many politicians do. He simply allowed us to see the many dimensions of his decision.

I don't like the fact that Nixon may have escaped conviction on his crimes, but I do realize that the cost to our nation and the paralysis it would have caused to the business of the country. It simply was a case where the greater good of the country outweighed bringing one man to justice.