Virginia Rep. Goode Warning of Muslim Immigration

ParanoiA

For those in the UK who may be unfamiliar with the free mason society, it was and still is a society that was extremely dominant in early american politics. Particularly because the society had alot of ingrained ideas about being a good person and all that. The only way into the society is to have another free mason vouch for your character.
Why would we in the UK be unfamiliar with Freemasonry? Where do you think it came from?

Extremism in all its forms is a very dangerous thing that all moderate and peacefully minded people must guard against.

Extremism simply means not accepting the mainstream opinions.

In effect, not being a mindless conformist.

In some places it is the extremists who oppose the death penalty for homosexuality.

Extremism simply means not accepting the mainstream opinions.

In effect, not being a mindless conformist.

In some places it is the extremists who oppose the death penalty for homosexuality.

Being a moderate does not mean to be a mindless conformist. Independent thinking or conformist thinking is a trait that is entirely irrelevant to whether one is a moderate or extremist in any direction. One can be a completely mindless follower and be an extremist and one can be exceedingly moderate yet also be an exceedingly independent thinker.

When I speak of moderates, I refer to those who are peacefully minded, Tolerant of other beliefs and possess a sincere desire to find a way to allow people of different beliefs, cultures and background to live and work in peace and tranquility together.

• 2 years later...

ok i am just going to express my views on the post by the OP and because I haven't read through to the last of the thread do forgive me if the discussion is over. I am Muslim and In Quran it is mentioned that any one living in state of non-Muslim will have to abide by the rules of the country given it doesn't in any way interfere with his religion. I live in the UK and a Muslim and I dont find that law here is in any way stopping Muslims to practice their religion and by practicing religon I don't mean 5 times prayers etc, no there is moe to Islam than that, humanity is first always in front of God and any person(Muslim) taking oath by siging any legal document will have to abide by it and try to sort out the problem that are facing the society. But Taking oath from a Quran is optional, if one thinks that he really must not stray from his/her duties and wants to take oath under Quran so that it is in his mind that any wrong doing on his part will be questioned by God(after the involvement of Quran) in my opinion is perfectly ok. I hope the same goes for people of other faiths as well.

sorry sometimes writing length post confuses me so if they are mistakes in the post it simply my bad.

For what it's worth....

Virgil Goode lost the election. He is not the Congressman from the 5th District of Virginia any longer.

No oath is required for public office; an affirmation can be substituted, else the Quaker Herbert Hoover would still be waiting to be President. No Bible is required. The actual speaking of the oath is not required; I took the same oath as Joe Biden by the symbolic act of stepping one step forward.

Many of the founding fathers, especially Washington and Jefferson, were Deists rather than Theists.

Pete Stark, CA, has been a born-again atheist for two years, yet won reelection in 2008.

Hundreds of men who had taken the oath the "proper way" broke that oath and took up arms against the United States (Edward Lee, Thomas Jackson, James Longstreet, etc)

Wow, how did this old thing get bumped? Now I have to review a two-year-old thread to remember what positions I took then, eh? Pfft, forget that.

In response to tvp45, much of that is true, but I've never heard of Hoover not taking the oath. Do you have a source for that? In fact supposedly Hoover reportedly stumbled when Taft gave him the oath, as was reported a good bit yesterday after the same thing happened with Obama and Roberts.

The oath of office for President is required by Article 2, Section 1, Clause 8 of the Constitution, which specifies the words that must be spoken.

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

Are you perhaps referring to the substitution of the word "affirm" instead of "swear"? Seems kind of a silly thing to parse -- Hoover had his hand on his family Bible, open to Proverbs 29:18, "Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keeps the law, happy is he." What would you call that? :) (source)

Those words are traditionally modified by the inclusion of the name and "so help me god" at the end (sorry wall-of-separation libbies), used by all presidents since (and including) FDR. But I think that's about as far as it goes in terms of straying from the beaten path.

Incidentally, so concerned was the Obama administration about the flub that they had him take the oath again tonight in the Map Room. Amusing.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/21/AR2009012103685.html?hpid=topnews

Edited by Pangloss

Wow, how did this old thing get bumped? Now I have to review a two-year-old thread to remember what positions I took then, eh? Pfft, forget that.

Seriously. I'd rather not be held to anything I said last week, let alone two years ago.