education in poor countries

carol

Libraries are full of old books. I mean some stuff in it are no longer acceptable/applicable.

Teachers teach subjects that are irrelevant to their skills and degree.

Equipments in the laboratories are insufficient. Some can be considered junk because either they are broken or they don't help in the students' learning.

The good ones are donated by people from richer countries who have visited out of the goodness of their hearts.

Students would rather mind other matters because their is not enough motivation.

Shouldn't the students be more motivated since they need to do something and better?

• 4 weeks later...

It's called improvisation. I'm seriously sick of people whom say they are smart and can't improvise worth crap. I never disected a frog, and I'm sure it's not necessary. If you want to disect something, go find that something. Otherwise, change your study habits for the surrounding habitat.

Adapatation and improvisation are a few keys to success.

I live in a rich country, but you would never know it given the quality of the science education (which is abysmal, IMO). I had to teach myself a lot of things to excel (which SFN helped me a great deal), but I think it was good. Because, I wound up being a lot better science student than most of my classmates, which I didn't mind one bit :)

Libraries are full of old books. .............Students would rather mind other matters because their is not enough motivation.

Shouldn't the students be more motivated since they need to do something and better?

I m professor ,teaching in Pakistan.Here I also observe ,students are least interested in their studies.Can you give any suggestion,...... How I can motivate my students.

I m professor ,teaching in Pakistan.Here I also observe ,students are least interested in their studies.Can you give any suggestion,...... How I can motivate my students.

some suggestions;

explain something in such a way, no student could accept as explained. argue your point, as surely some one will call you on it. the students will become the teacher and your directing the conversation.

make you students symbols with in the subject matter. or responsible for some explanation of the issues of the subject being taught..

i could go on, but just reading or giving an oration is not conducive to participation. sometimes having the students be part of or the creator of the message can be turned by your knowledge to them understanding and taking interest.

Libraries are full of old books. I mean some stuff in it are no longer acceptable/applicable.

Equipments in the laboratories are insufficient. Some can be considered junk because either they are broken or they don't help in the students' learning.

The good ones are donated by people from richer countries who have visited out of the goodness of their hearts.

Students would rather mind other matters because their is not enough motivation.

motivation is not linked to available means or literature. frankly its not even a natural action, with out cause. the instructor can do more then most will admit to motivate, but requires enthusiasm.

to the child doing something better has no value. the idea of being rich or smart is of no interest. something contrary to the norm, what they see most anytime any day, can generate interest and hopefully in time motivation.

some suggestions;

explain something in such a way, no student could accept as explained. argue your point, as surely some one will call you on it. the students will become the teacher and your directing the conversation.

make you students symbols with in the subject matter. or responsible for some explanation of the issues of the subject being taught..

i could go on, but just reading or giving an oration is not conducive to participation. sometimes having the students be part of or the creator of the message can be turned by your knowledge to them understanding and taking interest.

Thanx for your suggestions.When I say my students , "any questions ,any point in ur mind" They said ,thanx teacher ,we understand it well.

But when I ask them any Q ,they can't satisfy me.Then I feel ,I hv just wasted my time. Students hv no interest in learning anything ,they just want to cram their chapters.They want degree ,not knowledge.This thing depressed me.They show ,same behaviour wid all teachers in all subjects.We all teachers community are worried about new generation.Worried abt our future of nation.

I m professor of chemistry.

Sounds like the Midwest in USA.

Thanx for your suggestions.When I say my students , "any questions ,any point in ur mind" They said ,thanx teacher ,we understand it well.

But when I ask them any Q ,they can't satisfy me.Then I feel ,I hv just wasted my time. Students hv no interest in learning anything ,they just want to cram their chapters.They want degree ,not knowledge.This thing depressed me.They show ,same behaviour wid all teachers in all subjects.We all teachers community are worried about new generation.Worried abt our future of nation.

I m professor of chemistry.

you missed my point...

make the student ask you the question. i gave some means to do this, but don't know you subject matter or the ages. i will exaggerate an example;

subject; biology...teacher-when a frog dies it becomes a tadpole. student- i thought a tadpole became a frog. t- what makes you think that. by then half the class will be trying to teach you, since they have been motivated, try to make the point you suggested and no doubt your class will show you they do understand more than realized.

you mentioned asking "do you understand". no doubt your asking when you and they are done for the day or with a subject line. the student understands this as "well were done with that". even if i were in your class i would hesitate to question or show ignorance to whats been said.

as to out dated books, equipment and so on. you know some one from someplace that has what you need (if not available) for a day or two. barrow it, rent it or some how get it. you have a computer and can copy any number of books, pictures or examples of something. if this is at home, take it to your class and use it show how things can be learned, even if its not related to your interest.

few teachers think any class is learning and most feel the degree is the object and not the knowledge. sometimes i wonder, when half our high school graduate read at 6th grade levels. here however teaching has become a method for income or security and knowledge becomes the by product...

• 2 months later...
hmmm,

Now, if I lived in an impoverished country, I think I'd be more worried about things like: eating, staying alive, whether or not I had running water, etc. Rather than how the double helix works.

And I would figure out how to obtain the most protein in my diet, purifying water, anatomy and physiology, along with physics.

Show how science can be applied to the basic necessities of life, and go up from there.

It's called improvisation. I'm seriously sick of people whom say they are smart and can't improvise worth crap. I never disected a frog, and I'm sure it's not necessary. If you want to disect something, go find that something. Otherwise, change your study habits for the surrounding habitat.

Adapatation and improvisation are a few keys to success.

lol, where do you grow up?