Vista

weknowthewor

Yes, I can tell you one thing; its a bad idea to get it...

I disagree. I'm using Vista right now, and it is working wonderfully. BETA2 was awful, but I'm not having any problems with the latest version.

When I was using Windows XP with IE6, I would get a trojan nearly every week. When I started using Firefox with XP, I would get a trojan about once a month. I've been using Vista and IE7 for several months now, and I haven't gotten a single trojan! One time, a trojan did sneak past IE7, but Windows Defender took care of it immediately.

I disagree. I'm using Vista right now, and it is working wonderfully. BETA2 was awful, but I'm not having any problems with the latest version.

When I was using Windows XP with IE6, I would get a trojan nearly every week. When I started using Firefox with XP, I would get a trojan about once a month. I've been using Vista and IE7 for several months now, and I haven't gotten a single trojan! One time, a trojan did sneak past IE7, but Windows Defender took care of it immediately.

Vista is just as vulnerable to attack as XP is. Plus of course you get the inbuilt MS kill switch, if they think your using an illegal key at any time they can basically cripple your computer. This on its own I can't disagree with because its their right to do so. However the fact that they can do this basically means they can covertly spy on you. Who needs root kits? You get one built in now!

Thanks but no thanks, Vista is just a bad idea and all its hyped security doesn't amount to much but an annoyance.

I daresay I've never gotten a trojan at all. What sorts of sites are you visiting?

I'm both an owner and user of traffic exchanges. I usually view hundreds of sites a day, and a very small number of traffic exchange users sometimes try to sneak trojans into the exchanges.

Vista is just as vulnerable to attack as XP is.

I would like you to provide some evidence that supports your claim.

The Vista security is much better than XP's, especially since IE7 runs in a sandbox Protected Mode. Why do you think I get infected with trojans when using either IE6 or Firefox with XP, yet I have not had a single trojan with Vista and IE7?

Plus of course you get the inbuilt MS kill switch, if they think your using an illegal key at any time they can basically cripple your computer. This on its own I can't disagree with because its their right to do so. However the fact that they can do this basically means they can covertly spy on you. Who needs root kits? You get one built in now!

I think you are exaggerating. I seriously doubt that Microsoft actually spies on you. From what I've heard, the only "kill switch" in Vista is a feature that makes sure you activate Vista within a certain number of days. This ensures that people aren't installing copies on lots of different machines.

I would like you to provide some evidence that supports your claim.

The Vista security is much better than XP's, especially since IE7 runs in a sandbox Protected Mode. Why do you think I get infected with trojans when using either IE6 or Firefox with XP, yet I have not had a single trojan with Vista and IE7?

http://www.it-observer.com/news.php?id=6999

Top ten malware threats bypass Vista security

Need I say more?

I think you are exaggerating. I seriously doubt that Microsoft actually spies on you. From what I've heard, the only "kill switch" in Vista is a feature that makes sure you activate Vista within a certain number of days. This ensures that people aren't installing copies on lots of different machines.

MS will go to just about any lengths to "fight piracy" and privacy with it. They don't care what they have to do to make sure your using genuine technology. and this isn't limited too spying on its users. To do what they do already requires spying on people and this is why they were basically forced to publish a way to remove windows genuine advantage. I can't say they are spying on people because I don't know but its well within their power to do so.

Need I say more?

I guess I can't speak for the people who open every e-mail attachment they get. All I can say is that Vista seems to have completely blocked every trojan that used to force its way into my computer when I had XP.

MS will go to just about any lengths to "fight piracy" and privacy with it. They don't care what they have to do to make sure your using genuine technology. and this isn't limited too spying on its users. To do what they do already requires spying on people and this is why they were basically forced to publish a way to remove windows genuine advantage. I can't say they are spying on people because I don't know but its well within their power to do so.

Oh, of course... The fact that MS wants to fight piracy is solid evidence that they have hidden root kits in Vista. I guess the fact that the police want to fight illegal drugs is solid evidence that they have hidden a video camera somewhere in my bedroom. :rolleyes:

Sorry for the sarcasm, but I just don't understand how you could claim that Vista has a root kit and spyware without providing any evidence. Lots of people use packet sniffers to see if any unauthorized data is being sent from their computers. If Microsoft was spying on everyone with Vista, I'm sure somebody would have noticed it by now.

Herme3 google for DRM and Vista... When you have found out about it, come back and post.

People have noticed it just because YOU haven't doesn't mean it's not there. OC it could also be time delayed. Anotehr of my issues with vista will be the cost... Especially to businesses.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but I just don't understand how you could claim that Vista has a root kit and spyware without providing any evidence. Lots of people use packet sniffers to see if any unauthorized data is being sent from their computers. If Microsoft was spying on everyone with Vista, I'm sure somebody would have noticed it by now.

I can't go into any detail here for legal reasons but lets just put it simple. Windows manages the connection between the hardware and the software (via drivers, memory cell allocation etc.) that monitors the packets. If Window's doesn't want a packet found then it doesn't have to send it in the same way as it normally would too a piece of hardware through the drivers... in other words if Windows doesn't want a packet found it won't be. Enough said, I'd love to go into details but the forum could get in trouble and so could I and I don't want either thanks.

I can't argue that there is one or isn't I'm just saying one step of privacy invasion will lead too another. Vista is just another step down this road and the sooner people realise the better. BTW you know Windows Defender is available for Windows XP right?

herme3; you forget that when Vista is released on a full scale the amount of viruses and malware targetted specifically for Vista will skyrocket.

Whilst IE7 may block a few things at the moment, that's because nothing is targetting it. The only things that is testing IE7 is IE6 malware. When IE7 comes out with Vista then, and only then, will IE7-specific malware be developed. At that point lets see how well IE7 stands up to life in the big bad world.

I might dual boot Vista so I can play Halo 2. But otherwise I have no intention to use anything other than WinXP.

If Microsoft's previous OS's are any indication, Vista will be bug-ridden at launch. I won't be surprised if it takes more than a year for Vista's stability to rival that of XP.

The only compelling reason I have heard to adopt Vista early is DX 10 - and that's *only* compelling if you own DX 10 compliant hardware (which is brand new and very expensive) and play games that utilize it.

In fact, unless there's some software that you use that requires Windows, linux is the way to go (If there are drivers for all of your components).

That's my 2 cents!

Herme3 google for DRM and Vista... When you have found out about it, come back and post.

I read a few articles about it, but I'm still not sure what it means. It sounds like Vista will lower the quality of an image or video if you don't have hardware designed to prevent recording. I'm not sure what they are talking about because I haven't had any problems with the images or videos I've viewed when using Vista.

I can't go into any detail here for legal reasons but lets just put it simple. Windows manages the connection between the hardware and the software (via drivers, memory cell allocation etc.) that monitors the packets. If Window's doesn't want a packet found then it doesn't have to send it in the same way as it normally would too a piece of hardware through the drivers... in other words if Windows doesn't want a packet found it won't be. Enough said, I'd love to go into details but the forum could get in trouble and so could I and I don't want either thanks.

What you are saying is very interesting. Even though it sounds unlikely, I'm not going to disagree with you until I look into it myself. I can run a packet sniffer on my wireless network using my other computer running Linux. This will show exactly what is being sent from my Vista computer, and Microsoft would have no control over it. I'll let you know if I find anything interesting.

I'm not sure how you or the forum could get into trouble for releasing information about this. If Microsoft really is doing something like this, I'm sure it would violate anti-spyware laws unless Vista's license agreement states exactly what they are doing. In that case, you still wouldn't get into trouble because you wouldn't be saying anything confidential.

Whilst IE7 may block a few things at the moment' date=' that's because nothing is targetting it. The only things that is testing IE7 is IE6 malware. When IE7 comes out with Vista then, and only then, will IE7-specific malware be developed. At that point lets see how well IE7 stands up to life in the big bad world.

I might dual boot Vista so I can play Halo 2. But otherwise I have no intention to use anything other than WinXP.[/quote']

I'm sure people will eventually find some more security issues in Vista and IE7. However, I still believe it will be an improvement over Windows XP.

Technically that's 5 words... :)

OT:

Actually, it's three. DRM is an acronym and the dictionary defines an acronym as : A word formed from the initial letters of a name, such as WAC for Women's Army Corps, or by combining initial letters or parts of a series of words, such as radar for radio detecting and ranging. (Source: AHD, 2000 edition).

Back on topic, Vista is just a souped up XP just as XP was a souped up 2000. Few know 2000 has theme support, like XP, minus the default enable and the XP theme. Scrap the XP theme, moof in the Vista and you have yourself a new Windows. Hurray.

Nothing I saw in Vista is different from XP or 2000 in such a way that it can only be done in the OS. All features are just add-ons, libraries and such. Let us not forget that Explorer is basically a placeholder and the the files you view is a web projection via a template. That's why you get IE when you type an URL.

Nothing more than marketing. DX10 would work just fine over 2000 if it would be tuned for that. MS games require XP or better. Heck, 99% of drivers work on 2000/XP, and they are quite OS dependent. But not a game.

Anyone can quote any magazine they want. Until I see a feature that's not old and customized and/or something that can easily implemented in software, Vista is just XP and marketing. Just like XP is 2000 with 3rd party CD burning. Bundling features and OS makes not.

What you are saying is very interesting. Even though it sounds unlikely, I'm not going to disagree with you until I look into it myself. I can run a packet sniffer on my wireless network using my other computer running Linux. This will show exactly what is being sent from my Vista computer, and Microsoft would have no control over it. I'll let you know if I find anything interesting.

Been there, done that and got the t-shirt. It is possible due to the way any OS works, you just have to trust all the packets it sends via the published means are all the packets being sent. I know its possible because I've done work on the technology in similar systems to that which Windows uses.

I'm not sure how you or the forum could get into trouble for releasing information about this. If Microsoft really is doing something like this, I'm sure it would violate anti-spyware laws unless Vista's license agreement states exactly what they are doing. In that case, you still wouldn't get into trouble because you wouldn't be saying anything confidential.

Plenty, confidentiality violations aren't taken likely. Don't forget Sony did something similar and nobody realised until it was already on hundreds of systems. Its not MS confidentially I'd break because I don't actually know what MS is doing, I'm talking about the possibility it can be done based on projects I've worked on elsewhere :)

Well actually I dual boot vista(Evaluation) and XP, just for checking it out...

I dont install programs twice, ie on each OS...

In XP, one file that I ran had a virus, and because of it, literally every system file in XP had a virus. I ran this McAfee, and like atleast 150-200 files infected in the C:\WINDOWS folder alone.

Now in Vista, the same program was run, and when I run McAfee, only 1 file infected, that too it's the virus file which I originally took. No other system file, game, office file, no nothing was infected...oh and BTW that virus was called W32.Sality/x

Isn't that cool?

oh, well i've not used any *nix before, so this is new to me and I'm quite impressed by it...

Atleast I know that my system won't "Crash and Burn" because of some stupid virus... :)

It may not be long before the hackers try to bypass this also, but I hope it doesnt happen that way...

oh, well i've not used any *nix before, so this is new to me and I'm quite impressed by it...

Atleast I know that my system won't "Crash and Burn" because of some stupid virus... :)

It may not be long before the hackers try to bypass this also, but I hope it doesnt happen that way...

remember now, this is technology available in *nix systems a whopping 20 YEARS ago. and M$ have added bits of ****uppery to it so i don't expect it to hold for long.