Its distro madness!!!

eruheru

Hey all, I finally decided to dual boot my self built computer. At first I tried Ubuntu, but the drives for ATI Radeon graphics cards are messed up and xorg wont start. before I'm forced to risk messing up the computer by trying to configure drivers , I was wondering if there are any distros that are as user friendly as ubuntu, yet with better drivers and such. Any opinions?

Thanks

its not ubuntu's fault, its ATI they don't provide support for linux. have a look on http://www.ubuntuforums.org for help with ATI GFX cards. the community is great and people have got them working. i don't know how to do it myself as i use an Nvidia card which even have their own linux driver provided by the company.

That's not quite right, they do provide binary drivers for linux, just like nvidia, it's just that they are rather half assed about it compared to their windows version and so their support is "substandard" (and so things often go wrong, don't work or aren't supported by the drivers).

Yeah, getting a different distro isn't the way to solve your driver woes. Ubuntu has the best support for this type of thing, so I'd say stay with Ubuntu and get on the forums.

I'm really curious, I know ndiswrapper (program that uses windows drivers to run hardware in linux) works with wireless cards, can it work on other harware ...? Wouldn't that solve all of our driver problems?