Graphing Calculator

[Tycho?]

I'm in second year physics, and I feel the time has come to get a graphing calculator, so I'm going to ask for one for christmas. I have prior experience with the classic TI-83 plus, so by default I would lean towards this one because I know the interface.

But, there are also TI-84s, 85s, 86s and 89s that are all of the same basic design, but more advanced (and more expensive). There is also the 83 silver edition. So do any of you have experiences with these calculators? What would you recomend for a second year physics student, who wants a calculator that will last me years? Whats the best bang for the buck?

Any opinions appreciated.

I highly recommend the TI-89/Ti-89 Titanium for second year physics. It is much more powerful than the 83's and 84's and can do a lot more complex calculus work and algebra. Now the drawback is this:

It takes some time to get used to the interface.

It's so awsome you can become too reliant on the calculator.

When I did AP Physics, I used it primarily to check my work,my integrals.. derivatives etc.. Also it comes in very handy when solving simutaneous equations.

So I strongly recommend an 89

I know I am pretty alone with my attitude but since you said "any opinions appreciated" ...

I recommend the next-best cheap pocket calculator like my TX-30 solar for calculations done on a piece of paper (smaller calculations, exams, ...) and a small (in the sense of size) laptop with a good battery for more serious work (lab reports, storing data of measurements, talks, theses, ...). CPU speed, memory, graphics card and stuff are pretty secondary there, so the laptop could probably get pretty cheap. I think you can substitute any function of an expensive pocket calculator with an appropriate small freeware program on a laptop. And in addition you get a good way to store and transport data and a platform that you can write papers (publications, theses, internal notes, lab reports, ...) on in addition to that.

I'm not keen on a laptop. For one I already have a desktop computer, and while I like to use it for math stuff, its actually suprisingly difficult to find useful software. While a graphing calculator comes with all the software I'd need, and I can take it to my labs. So yes, all opinions apprecated, but laptop isn't going to happen.

I almost thought so. I mostly mentioned it because you were saying "that lasts me for years" and I thought a graphics calculator won´t help you much for giving a talk on a conference or stuff like that. I don´t know how important that "lasts for years" is for you and I also don´t want to be the one responsible for your choice (all advice is given without any warranty!) but one thing you shoul possibly keep in mind is the following: Of those who give recomendations for a graphical calculator here, how far beyond 2nd year of physics do you think they are?

EDIT:For the sake of fairness I should explicitely say that I´ve never used a graphical calc, so I don´t know what I might be missing - I certainly never missed anything.

I almost thought so. I mostly mentioned it because you were saying "that lasts me for years" and I thought a graphics calculator won´t help you much for giving a talk on a conference or stuff like that. I don´t know how important that "lasts for years" is for you and I also don´t want to be the one responsible for your choice (all advice is given without any warranty!) but one thing you shoul possibly keep in mind is the following: Of those who give recomendations for a graphical calculator here, how far beyond 2nd year of physics do you think they are?

EDIT:For the sake of fairness I should explicitely say that I´ve never used a graphical calc, so I don´t know what I might be missing - I certainly never missed anything.

Haha, I dont plan on giving talks anytime soon. I'll always own a computer anyway, desktop or laptop depending on the situation.

But even now, I still use my basic calculator when I'm sitting infront of my computer doing homework. There is something nice about holding it in my hands. Plus most of the equations I deal with are faster to punch into a calculator than a keyboard.

I've got a graphics calculator, I use it about once every 2 years, I'm a third year physics student. I agree with the laptop idea, with a decent stats programming language like GNU R. Although I'd imagine my ideas would be differnt if I was allowed a graphics calc in exams.

My graphics calc is an old casio fx-7400G. It does everything I need (well would if I ever used it) and my brother never used it so I just basically inherited it from him, no point in spending lots of ££ on something where you'll only use the features of a cheaper model...

I love my old TI83 plus. It's got a algorithm for anything. Just be careful not to clear the ram, all unarchived programs will be deleted :(.

Don't have any experience with higher math/physics, so I can't really recommend it, but I love it for lower maths (early trig/calc especially trig).

klaynos how do you get by in courses like linear algebra?

I never used my calculator until I hit linear algebra, now I'm glad I laid down the extra cash, otherwise I would have to quit studying math as it's far to time consuming to work by hand.

for reference, I'm talking about calculating determinants and inverses. It probably shaves off a good 3-4 hours from my homework assignments