What Specific Microscope Will I Use?

wouldn't a magnifying glass be better suited to the purpose? <not an expert in this so i'm proobably wrong>

anyway, what i can tell you is you'll definitely want one that allows the coin to be lit from above(unless you find a way to shine light through a coin wich poses a whole load of problems) and unless you need to see really really close you could probably go for the cheaper ones that don't magnify as much.

i've also seen 'video'scopes quite cheap where the image is projected onto a screen. proper video scopes are actually kind of expensive as they contain imaging and display hardware.

you'll have to tell us in detail what you plan on using it for.

Hello Guys,

I'm in to coin collecting and i don't know which specific microscope i could use for my hobby.

All suggestions and tips are most welcome.:)

Thanks in advance.

Helllo Joena

Regarding on your question i have a little knowledge about this, im working on the company that sells a different types of microscopes and i would suggest for you to used metallurgical microscopes which you can view the metal inside your coin.

I hope this idea can help you.

Try a stereomicroscope, aka 'dissecting scope'. They have magnification from about 4-40x, and because the object is lit from above and the scope has stereo vision, you can see surface details in 3D. High-end ones are expensive as hell, but you can get simpler models for less than $100.

Mokele

Hello insane_alien, Mokele, Cristina

Thank you for all the suggestions, i really appreciate it

It will help me a lot.:cool: :cool:

Magnifying Glass, yeah i think i can use it to. Regarding on the scopes that you guys suggested me to use. I do search one of the Best Dealer Microscopes Site, and I’m so happy to find one. They have complete category of Microscopes such as Video Microscopes, Metallurgical Microscopes and Stereo Microscopes etc. In Video Microscopes i read the specification, and yes i can use this to view my coin I think, but this one is great for inspection, especially to assembly lines and circuits. Metallurgical Microscopes, this is the best one I think because they have the magnifications of 40x, 64x, 100x, 160x, 400x, 630x, 640x, and 1008x. And this Microscopes is use to Identify and Analysis of the structure of Different Metals and Alloys. Regarding on Stereo Microscopes, yes not to much expensive. I can use it too but this one is best to view animal specimen.

Anyway thanks a lot, i will try to search some of their products if which is the best one that fits for my hobby. I really like this site, they have plenty types of microscopes and accessories.

Thank you again..:)

My humble opinion is that stereo microscope is best for your hobby.

I do not recommend to buy video microscope if you can not test it first. Its nice to see picture in screen but it may actally show less detail than you expect. Video microscopes are very usefull only if group of people must work together with one specimen.

Stereo microscopes are not only used in biology but also in field of microelectronics to inspect fine parts of printed circuit boards and also in geology. Stereo microscopes are less tiresome to use than common types and images are better to understand because of stereoscopic view.

I know nothing about metallurgical microscopes.

hello,

thanks you

yeah, i also read the specification of Stereo Microscopes and i can use that too but that one is best for viewing Animal Mineral Specimens and also fits in Industrial Applications. but yeah..its also great for viewing coin. its not to much expensive too.

Metallurgical Microscopes this one is really for Coin because its Ideal for Identification and Analysis of the Structure of Different Metals and Alloys. and have Eight Magnifications: 40x, 64x, 100x, 160x, 400x, 630x, 640x, and 1008x. but it will cost too much.

I get this idea in one of Microscopes Dealer Site.. they have complete category and also they sell accessories too.

thanks you so much..

i'm still waiting for more suggestion in this matter.:)

thanks

Metallurgical Microscopes this one is really for Coin because its Ideal for Identification and Analysis of the Structure of Different Metals and Alloys. and have Eight Magnifications: 40x, 64x, 100x, 160x, 400x, 630x, 640x, and 1008x. but it will cost too much.

As far as i know microscopic explorations in metallurgy are not just using microscope but mostly of preparing metal surface. If i recall correctly, metal piece is cut and polished, then etched with special reagents (some of which contain notorious HF). This makes crystal structure of metal to stand out. Processed piece of metal is studied with microscope which, indeed must be of highest quality.

I think that unprocessed metal surface is not worth of viewing at more than 100x magnification because there are not that fine details. In fact 40x or even 20x should be enough to see everything that there is. Still, i am not sure, maybe someone can write more about how metallurgical microscopes are used and what magnifications are actually useful.

One link for stereo microscopes (not cheapest but rather good):

http://scientificsonline.com/category.asp_Q_c_E_422940_A_Stereomicroscopes

You should also search for "stereo microscope" in e-bay. It just got 614 hits.