Stuck with a differential equation, using substitution.

the tree

Find the general sollution to [math](x+y)\frac{dy}{dx}=x^2 + xy +1[/math] using the substitution of [math]y=v-x[/math]

Using that [math]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{dv}{dx}-1[/math] I plugged that in to get:[math]v(\frac{dv}{dx}-1)=x^2 + x(v-x)+1[/math]. Which rearanges to [math]\frac{dv}{dx}-\frac{1}{v}=x+1[/math]. But from that point I don't know where I'm going.

Could anyone give me a nudge in the right direction?

Well, since your equation of [math](x+y)=x^2+xy+1[/math] have both x, y on the both sides of the equation, you have to use implicit differentation?

To use implicit differentation, you do this: [math](x+y)\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{d}{dx}(x^2+xy+1)[/math].

You can find better webpages on implicit differentation than the one you found. If you still don't understand, then I will try to explain it better next time. I don't have the time right now because my girlfriend is here with me. :P

you can't...

first try subbing in v-x for all of the y's and plug in the derivative v-x= y

EDIT: woops, you already did that.

are you familiar with integrating factors and exact equations?

or actaully it looks like if you sub in for y again at the end you'll get an answer.