People who consume bacon are more likely to develop cancer

sylvester22

Harvard scientists found people who ate bacon at least five times a week were 59% more likely to develop the disease than those who never did.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6194502.stm

Doesn't suprize me one bit. There are a lot of studies that connect cancer to the consumption of various meats, especially from Asian countries who eat a lot more meat now due to Western influences.

I'd say that people who eat bacon 5 times a week also do alot of other bad health choices that contribute far more than the bacon.

then you should do a peer-reviewed journal on it.

Nitrosamine forms during the cooking of bacon.

Nitrosamine also forms on flue-cured tobacco.

Nitrosamine used to form on flue-cured barley, until beer makers switched to indirect fire curing in the '80s.

I'm guessing there's ways you could prevent nitrosamine from forming when bacon is cooked, but here's a better idea: don't eat bacon. It's unhealthy, and pigs are among the most intelligent animals on earth. I think the way pigs are treated is intolerably cruel, and feel morally repulsed by their consumption in the same way I would think of consuming the meat of monkeys or apes.

I'd say that people who eat bacon 5 times a week also do alot of other bad health choices that contribute far more than the bacon.

then you should do a peer-reviewed journal on it.

from the article:

The researchers also found people who ate bacon and other processed meats frequently were also more likely to smoke and to take in more fat and fewer vitamins. They were also less likely to exercise.

No kidding. I love bacon, so I only allow the minor indulgence on Friday's. During the week I stick with fruits and egg whites - that sort of thing. The regular bacon eaters around here are the nicotine puffing lizard skinned cough-aholics that have a soda in their possession at all times.

I also love bacon, pigs may be inteligent, but they are also delicious. Like the article said,

The researchers also found people who ate bacon and other processed meats frequently were also more likely to smoke and to take in more fat and fewer vitamins. They were also less likely to exercise.

It isn't just the bacon. It's just a factor.

from the article:

Sorry, didn't see that line.

But, still, I haven't seen evidence that bacon doesn't have any links to cancer... doesn't mean that it's true, I just want to see a more controlled experiment.

I understand that eating nonvegetarian is always harmful to humans as we are not animals with four legs but well civilized ones .Anyhow, I have some details about Bacon:

Chemical added to processed meat products is responsible for a 67% increased risk in pancreatic cancer, says author and nutritionist Mike Adams. The conclusions are based in part on research conducted at the University of Hawaii that reveals a 67% increased risk of pancreatic cancer in people who consume large quantities of hot dogs, sausage and other processed meats, versus those who consume little or no processed meat. The study was led by Dr. Ute Nothlings and was announced at the annual gathering of the American Association for Cancer Research.

I understand that eating nonvegetarian is always harmful to humans as we are not animals with four legs but well civilized ones .Anyhow, I have some details about Bacon:

Chemical added to processed meat products is responsible for a 67% increased risk in pancreatic cancer, says author and nutritionist Mike Adams. The conclusions are based in part on research conducted at the University of Hawaii that reveals a 67% increased risk of pancreatic cancer in people who consume large quantities of hot dogs, sausage and other processed meats, versus those who consume little or no processed meat. The study was led by Dr. Ute Nothlings and was announced at the annual gathering of the American Association for Cancer Research.

You may want to post a link or cite your source when copy and pasting information. Good habit anyway.

I had a discussion a long time ago with people about this. Supposedly, bacon and other foods cooked in a pan can be carcinogenic. They can be carcinogenic because of the char. However, I don't have enough evidence or visual information to believe that claim.