Electronic data aquisition technology question

Mokele

Ok, I've got yet another electronics question.

At lab, we've just gotten these neat tiny pressure sensors that can be applied to anything (in our case, perches for the animals, to measure locomotion forces). Apparently, the company can build perches with *dozens* of these things, but use only a few input channels for the computer, because it samples from each sensor in an array sequentially over the same channel, and their software decoding this sequence so you can get each of the inputs individually (just at a reduced sampling rate). Since number of channels is a limitation in my work, I'm keen on seeing if this technology can be applied to my own work, which brings me to the two rather basic questions:

1) Is there a special term for this sort of setup?

2) How easy is it to create such a setup? Is this the sort of thing that a single individual could design, or would it require quite advanced knowledge of electronics and computers?

Mokele

Similar system can be designed with any microcontroller which has multicannel AD converter built in and serial port to communicate with PC. You need small program in microcontroller flash memory and another in PC to get beatiful and easily readable output (otherwise you can only save raw data with some general terminal program). Some opamp circuits are needed if output of sensors is not directly compatible with 0..5V AD converter input.

It's quite common to build similar system (for example for collecting weather data) by single individual at home. Nothing complex here just long line of small things that must be done correctly to get everything working.

Thanks very much! Now, to teach myself enough electronics to actually be able to improve my experimental equipment....or I'll just suggest it to various vendors at this year's SICB meeting and let them deal with it.

Mokele