Auditory hallucinations and hearing

I'm quite new so I have no clue where to post this question, but I need to vent it out of my mind

I was reading about Auditory Hallucinations and the doubt popped. It goes like this:

Whenever we listen to a sound, our tympanic membrane vibrates, therefore making it's way up to the brain and converting the sound wave into something we can understand. Now, my question is: When people has Auditory Hallucinations, is it possible that they are actually distortioning sounds around them? We could know by [if it's possible] checking if their tympanic membranes are working at the moment where they are having an auditory hallucination

I'm not sure if that has been proven, I haven't found anything on it so I decided to just ask.

If anybody has any idea, I'd love to hear conclusions.

~Ale~

it really all depends what you consider as auditory "hallucintation", there are certain physiological disorders that will create sounds that only the listener can hear, whistles or tones in the case of Tinitus (a bit thike the ringing in your ears after a loud explosion or a rock concert).

the others are were "Voices" are heard, this is a Mental condition as opposed to a Physiological condition, it doesn`t involve any of the auditory apparatus :)

Oh, I see. That was my first theory, but I thought may be the auditory system could be involved.

What you say makes a lot of sense. It is weird to see how our minds can create such things. But I should have noticed that since I'm 85% deaf without aid hearing and either way, I can hear very vivid voices that sometimes seem so real, but I know aren't because of the circumstances in which I am.

it`s quite possible then that you`re having audio hallucination brought about by sensory depravation, I`m guessing that you weren`t born deaf and that at some time you were able to hear perfectly well?

it doesn`t mean your crazy at all in your instance, infact hallucinations brought about by sensory depravation are used in some scientific tests, as it is a known phenomenon. the Gandsfeld test (probably spelled wrong) is one such test :)

Well, sometimes if you press your pressed your fingers really hard against your ears and you are in a quiet room. I hear some kind of buzzing sound. I thought that might be one prove that atoms/molecules vibrate all the time. but now i wonder, whether is it consider as auditory hallucination???

How can you define auditory hallucination? What causes it? Malfunctioning of your brain???

that "buzzing" sound will partly be due to blood flow and muscles twitching.

there is no one cause, there are many reasons, from a malfunction to the brains ability to try and make sense of things by filling in gaps that don`t exist, in order to proccess that data.

Yes, I was partly deaf by birth, only they realized it when it was seriously advanced. I consider that the ringing sometimes must be due to it, but clear voices don't seem to be related, or so I think. More likely I have linked it to depression and paranoia, but I'm not really sure.

well if we look at the most simple ideas 1`st is usualy the best way. You`ve heard REAL voices before obviously, and so, I put this as an idea to you, see what you think :)

I did Sign Language at college and also have many friends that are 100% deaf from birth, during the 1`st year I realised that reading lips as well as watching the signs was vitaly important!

as many signs are the same for different meanings, and so you need to read the lips also. I found that when I read the lips I could almost hear them saying it (it was my own internal voice sure), and often I could be having a chat with a deaf friend in a Pub or something, and it`s almost like I forget they are deaf and that I can actualy hear them (I can`t really). so I`m wondering if this is what you`re experiencing?

I sometimes as many of you must have, listen to music and compose in incredible depth just in the quite mind. It is too bad the neural pathway to the area that composes is one way or we would be able to attach electrodes to our ear drums and broadcast symphonies. It makes you wonder what the deaf person from birth uses those areas of the brain for which we compose music.

Just aman

Interestingly enough, I ( being a mega curios Scientist type) have actualy asked this question to a profoundly deaf person that was born that way, equaly as interesting, they haven`t got a clue what I`m on about, it`s as if it doesn`t exist, or at least in terms that can be experessed in English (via sign language) they 100% understand the question, but have no real meaning for it (we often write down more complex ideas too).

it seems to me like trying to explain the color Blue to a blind person that has never seen it. totaly fascinating and equaly frustrating (if I`m to be 100% honest). but non the less true!

as for the 1`st part of your post, it would work if |I read it correctly, it would be like trying to make your fingers give the feeling of a soft ball or a sharp object at will, being able to mentaly hear these symphonies would not effect your ear receiving mechanisms any more than turning your finger into a sharp needle :)

Out of curiousity, is there any way for someone with perfectly good or even partial hearing to actually have true SILENCE? I think that if the person has any sort of hearing at all, they must hear their own breathing or their heartbeat or something. It sucks, I want silence!

well, the way it`s done in the Lab although it seems contra intuitive, they put head phones on you and and send white noise to them. eventualy the brain doesn`t hear it anymore, it sort of blocks it out, but since it`s a confusing sound, it`s still a sound and loud enough to block things like heartbeat and breathing noise. without surgical methods, this seems to be the most effective thus far :)

So, basically, no there isn't, but there's ways to kinda trick yourself. I suppose that makes since. Like if you're really into a book while you're reading it, after a little while everything seems to stop making noise, or at least make less.

As a medical issue, doctors and surgeons will secure CAT scans to determine whether brain function is relatively typical (in relation to genuine cases, apparently alot of individuals they encounter tend to have a psychological condition of being predisposed to a psychiatric illness).

It should be reminded that whilst psychology is a human behavioral science, psychiatry deals with the medical health of one's brain function and its relationship with mental state. Neurosurgeons and psychiatrists are probably the best contemporary experts you'll find on this subject.

Just with anything involving your health: always shop around and always get second opinions.

Anyway, from your description I wouldn't just pass it off. You may be on to something valuable, you never know.

Give me updates, I'm interested in knowing how it turns out.