chem question help please

kamy

can someone explain how to go about solving this? i dont want the answer..just help me on the steps

thanks

If all the H2O(g) in the atmosphere (assume it is 1% by volume) suddenly condensed to H2O(l), and all the enthalpy of this process was captured and converted to electrical energy, how long would this energy power a capital city?

can someone explain how to go about solving this? i dont want the answer..just help me on the steps

thanks

If all the H2O(g) in the atmosphere (assume it is 1% by volume) suddenly condensed to H2O(l), and all the enthalpy of this process was captured and converted to electrical energy, how long would this energy power a capital city?

Here we go, step-by-step:

1): Figure out the volume of the Earth's atmosphere. This will let you know how much, by volume, is H2O.

2): Find the density of H2O gas so that you can determine the mass of H2O. You will need to have a starting temperature of the H2O(g) in order to get the proper density.

3): Calculate the mass of water vapor in the atmosphere.

4): Using the enthalpy of vaporization for water, calculate how many kJ of energy it would take to condense that mass of H2O(g) into H2O(l) based on the starting temperature of your gas.

5): Determine how much energy (in kJ) a Capital City uses in one day.

6): Derive the amount of energy used (in kJ) by a Capital City in one hour.

7): Finally, calculate the number of hours the city could run based on the energy you calculated earlier.

As you can see, there is still some research and work that you'll need to do in order to get the proper values since the question as presented doesn't provide all the values you need.